What's new

To Stretch or not to that is the thread.

So I've been into this whole wet shaving thing for a few months so far and everything is great. I'm getting nice face lather with AOS and a silver tip brush bough on here. I'm using murker HD bough a sampler pack moved from derby's to personnas currently and I'm working my way to astras, crystals, and feathers. I haven't had any major cuts in forever, a few weepers when I'm careless or when I good over a spot a few times (usually needs to be more than 4) without lather.

Now here's the thing I get pretty good shaves (especially with the personnas) going ***,XTG, and ATG but after a day I feel patches. I noticed that I'm leaving a few spots with some stubbles even though I can't feel them. I noticed if I stretched the skin I could get closer but it would mean a little "over stretching". Should I stretch it and go for the ultra smooth BBS? If so when should I stretch the "most" WTG, XTG, or ATG? Do you all think I should just skip the personnas and move to the crystals because they are sharper? And in the name of full disclosure I do use shave oil would you all agree I should try with using the oil to see if I see a difference? I didn't want to mention the oil because I know we're all divided on the use of it.

I am not a pro but i get a close shave with no patches missed with four passes using fresh blades. I also use a good hot towel or scalding hot shower.

Don't be so concerned about an ultra BBS shave. Most DE shavers are happy with a DFS and are thrilled with a BBS shave. Why risk irritation, etc.?

Should I stretch it and go for the ultra smooth BBS?
I do, it doesn't bother me. YMMV.

If so when should I stretch the "most" WTG, XTG, or ATG?
ATG.

Do you all think I should just skip the personnas and move to the crystals because they are sharper?
I've always heard it is best to start with the sharpest. Feathers, in your case.

FWIW, when I was shaving using DE razors I didn't stretch my skin but now that I'm using STR8 razors to shave with, stretching is mandatory

If you haven't used a GEM SE razor yet, buy one and a pack of SE blades by GEM (stainless) or Treet (carbon). All GEM SE razors shave incredibly close but I like the 1912 GEM junior best, then the clog pruf micromatic (GEM). Next is the heavy flat top, on and on. You should be able to buy any of those razors I mentioned off ebay for less than $15 shipped, or watch BST here

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Should I stretch it and go for the ultra smooth BBS?

Uh, no. I doubt your skin will enjoy the additional abuse.

And in the name of full disclosure I do use shave oil would you all agree I should try with using the oil to see if I see a difference?

Well, dang. We won't all agree on anything, but we like our differences. Did you mean to try without shave oil? Sure.

Do you all think I should just skip the personnas and move to the crystals because they are sharper?
Different people have very different assessments of different blades, and a lot depends on your skin, your whiskers, and your technique - I found Crystal blades to be pretty rough on my face, but Personna Red seem much smoother. So as far as blades go, I really think you do have to try each one for yourself.

Stretching is always helpful, but you mention "overstretching" - that will likely result in irritation. All that's required is some gentle stretching to remove the folds in the skin and provide an even skin surface over which the blade can glide over. Of course, you're welcome to try stretching beyond that - do report back on your results.

Stretching is fine, a lot of us do it in areas that require the skin to be taut before a pass...just watch over-stretching...it'll cause burn...

I'm in the camp who believes that BBS is a myth.
Stretching is a good way to get the skin taught, especially if you're like me and have a few extra chins. :001_tongu
But really, if you hit a great shave already, why chase unicorns?

Different people have very different assessments of different blades, and a lot depends on your skin, your whiskers, and your technique - I found Crystal blades to be pretty rough on my face, but Personna Red seem much smoother. So as far as blades go, I really think you do have to try each one for yourself.

~~~I totally agree with Alan. My assessment of the blades he mentions is just the opposite

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom