What's new

Does straight shaving hurt less on 4-5 days growth than cartridge shaving?

Hi there. I am not yet among your ranks but keep daydreaming about it.

Ever since I started working from home, I've been skipping shaving frequently.

When I shave (cartridge) every day, there's no pain and it goes fine. If I skip a day it's still fine. And if I skip two days it starts to get tougher to get through and I wind up not getting everything like under the chin.

But when I skip more than three day shaving, I can barely get the razor through it and it hurts. And I miss parts. And sometimes I get a nick.

In my straight razor fantasy, it glides right through that four day growth as I issue a hearty, "ha ha-HAA!"

Is this true? Tell me my fantasy is true. I've read a number of noob posts here that talk about what a long and bloody learning curve it is, but let's say I was past that and let's say my beard was average - would the straight razor handle these longer whiskers better than a cartridge razor? As in less painful and catch-y?

For me, angels play the harp as I straight shave.

Kidding aside, you will see better shaves once you get over the initial learning curve. Multiple blade cartridges always seemed to "pull" at my beard as well before I made the switch.

I prefer shaving with 3 or 4 days growth. Seem to get exceptional shaves when I skip a few days.

Yes, it's easier than with a cartridge, if you have 4-5 days' growth. It's so much fun, though, you'll want to shave 2-3 times per day.

Legion

Staff member
I prefer shaving with 3 or 4 days growth. Seem to get exceptional shaves when I skip a few days.

+1

I shaved a three day growth just then, and my skin feels great.

Keep your razor sharp enough, prep your whiskers, stretch the skin, and there should be no pain.

I should add, a DE razor will also be less painful than a cartridge, if you want to wean your way off cartridges with something easier.

There comes a point when cartridges just don't cut it. Literally.
I would probably use clippers before trying to shave off 5 day's growth with a cart.
But with a straight? No problem. I almost giggle when I wipe off the blade and it looks like a roll of astroturf in the lather.

Edit> (Re comment below) OK, "no problem" is an exaggeration. A long beard might take me an extra pass compared to a normal shave, and that first pass would need short strokes and so take longer. But even so, it's no hardship.

Last edited:
I wish it were that true, but the straight doesn't just glide through 4 days growth for me. I have to work at it some, but the effort of 4 days growth and 7 days growth and 14 days growth is similar, and generally only takes 2 passes for me.

More than 14 days and clippers first, although I think about clippers first at 7 days.

2 days growth takes 2 passes for me as well. I don't have enough stubble to try shaving at 24 hours, so 1 day between shaves is pointless for me. I wish I got this close a shave from DE or carts, have to shave daily with carts, and should shave daily with DE.

Phil

Back from vacations, I shaved off a two week growth in one single WTG pass. Then I polished with XTG and ATG, but it was magic to morph from I'm-not-there-Era Joaquin Phoenix into Walk-the-Line JP in a few seconds.

Hi there. I am not yet among your ranks but keep daydreaming about it.

Ever since I started working from home, I've been skipping shaving frequently.

When I shave (cartridge) every day, there's no pain and it goes fine. If I skip a day it's still fine. And if I skip two days it starts to get tougher to get through and I wind up not getting everything like under the chin.

But when I skip more than three day shaving, I can barely get the razor through it and it hurts. And I miss parts. And sometimes I get a nick.

In my straight razor fantasy, it glides right through that four day growth as I issue a hearty, "ha ha-HAA!"

Is this true? Tell me my fantasy is true. I've read a number of noob posts here that talk about what a long and bloody learning curve it is, but let's say I was past that and let's say my beard was average - would the straight razor handle these longer whiskers better than a cartridge razor? As in less painful and catch-y?

Sometimes my face is a bit tender, but not like it was when I was under the yoke of the Gillette Fusion. Multi-blades are the worst I have used. I haven't used an injector since I was a teenager but I didn't have much luck with that either in terms of comfort and closeness. DE and straight razors are the "grail" of shaving as far as I'm concerned and I've been doing it for about 40 years.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
In MY fantasy Scarlett Johansson is there to hold my shaving scuttle while I shave...

But I digress. A sharp blade in the hands of a experienced shaver, like myself AHEM, does feel much better the longer I go between shaves...although the longest I could bear not shaving was 2 days. The one time I shaved more than 2 days growth was my goatee and while it didnt exactly "glide", it cut through with no problem, and more importantly, no discomfort...it actually feels very satisfying.

I feel the straight is more efficient and comfortable all around than cartridges. Less pulling and the shave is closer because with the carts a heavier growth really clogs it up and ends up not cutting anything. I bet those "missed spots" you actually were going over but with a clogged blade.

It's one of the reason why in general straight shaving is more comfortable than cartridge shaving: with a cartridge blade, the hairs tend to clog up the space in between the blades, hairs stick out, etc. and you gash your face open (well, I did). If your whiskers aren't too thick, you can probably rinse out a two day beard, no prob, but when the hairs get longer, clogging is almost inevitable, rinsing out doesn't work since the hairs just fold around, get twirled up and whatnot.

Although for straight shaving, the first two, three months you'll also gash your face every now and then, less and less regularly, because of your technique (PRESSURE and ANGLE!).

Not a fair question - you've fudged the question so that only the right answer will come out.

"Assuming I've gone through the learning curve successfully" means you'll have learned proper prep, lathering with a quality product, good multi-pass "reduction" shave techniques and post shave skin care. On that basis, the answer is "well duh you'll get better shaves", but by doing so you'll get better shaves no matter what tool you use - cart, DE, SE, straight.

Not a fair question - you've fudged the question so that only the right answer will come out.

"Assuming I've gone through the learning curve successfully" means you'll have learned proper prep, lathering with a quality product, good multi-pass "reduction" shave techniques and post shave skin care. On that basis, the answer is "well duh you'll get better shaves", but by doing so you'll get better shaves no matter what tool you use - cart, DE, SE, straight.

I haven't forced a particular answer. I already know how to shave properly with a cartridge razor, but there comes a point where, for me, it hurts because the hairs are too long. A different kind of blade in the same situation might have the very same issues or it might do better or worse. Not wanting to substitute my shaving fantasies for actual experience, I asked those who have used one in that situation. To avoid the inevitable references to beginner's guides and beginner's horror stories, I factored out the learning curve, during which I fully expect to take a good while to settle into effective technique. It could be that once I do have good technique, I will find that shaving a 4-day growth with a straight is easier and less painful than with a cartridge. The answers here so far seem to point to yes. That was the question. As I decide whether to take the plunge and pay for a straight and all the gear, this is the kind of info I wanted. People could have said, "well no, it's still going to hurt the same and be just as difficult to get through - that's just physics and you shouldn't let it grow long - but you'll wind up liking the shave you get with a straight better." But so far it sounds like they're saying that a straight in the same situation, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, will hurt less and get through the hair more easily.

It should shave right off. A cartridge razor will tug and pull the hair with the bottom blade and the second and third blades (Mach 3) will act as 2 passes, both over skin that is not protected by the lather... resulting in irritation.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I flashed through the messages a bit quickly . . . Let me add . . . with some growth . . . cartridges get clogged with hair quickly. DE's do a bit better. A straight razor will not be clogged.

I haven't forced a particular answer. I already know how to shave properly with a cartridge razor, but there comes a point where, for me, it hurts because the hairs are too long. A different kind of blade in the same situation might have the very same issues or it might do better or worse. Not wanting to substitute my shaving fantasies for actual experience, I asked those who have used one in that situation. To avoid the inevitable references to beginner's guides and beginner's horror stories, I factored out the learning curve, during which I fully expect to take a good while to settle into effective technique. It could be that once I do have good technique, I will find that shaving a 4-day growth with a straight is easier and less painful than with a cartridge. The answers here so far seem to point to yes. That was the question. As I decide whether to take the plunge and pay for a straight and all the gear, this is the kind of info I wanted. People could have said, "well no, it's still going to hurt the same and be just as difficult to get through - that's just physics and you shouldn't let it grow long - but you'll wind up liking the shave you get with a straight better." But so far it sounds like they're saying that a straight in the same situation, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, will hurt less and get through the hair more easily.

I agree with you completely, except for the point where you say "I already know how to shave with a a cartridge razor".

All the important skills - lathering, grain mapping, pressure and angle, reduction passes, pre- and post-skin care - are far more important than the actual razor you shave with. Learn those first, and I'll bet you $10 that your cartridge shaves improve dramatically.

Learn to straight shave if you want, but it's not a magic solution. It's your technique and skill that make a better shave, much more than the type of blade you use.

For me i prefer to have a few days growth, seem to get a better all around shave. Do understand that the long part of the equation for learning is true and will require patience. I would not be terribly concerned about the bloody part as that is minimal and can mostly be avoided with the utmost of respect for the tool you are using, again not to worry as this is not optional and the blade will make that clear. So i say if you are motivated don't delay, have fun and start logging the shave time you will need to get there.

Ian

Top Bottom