What's new

Montblanc 149

Usually the offer is for the amount you bid, the seller has more than one item and instead of re listing, he offers the second chance, if he likes your bid. It is somewhat common on Ebay, I have done this, successfully, a couple of times. I obviously could not offer advice in terms of the pen per se or the seller. I wonder what model my MO is... It is so thick that I never use it.

Al raz.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The fakes are getting better and better so I would take it to an authorized Montblanc dealer to check immediately to take advantage of the return policy he is offering. It is a late model with tri-color 18K nib so 1995--> I think. Good luck, looks good, beautiful but be careful.

The fakes are getting better and better so I would take it to an authorized Montblanc dealer to check immediately to take advantage of the return policy he is offering. It is a late model with tri-color 18K nib so 1995--> I think. Good luck, looks good, beautiful but be careful.

That's what has me wondering. Taking to an authorized dealer is not in the cards, its roughly 300 miles round trip to the nearest dealer per Montblanc's dealer locator.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
When I bought mine (not quite such an investment) I ran all kinds of checks myself. Back then you could shine a strong light through the plastic and if it glowed red you were golden. Now, the frauds are really good and usually the nibs give it away. That one looks good but I can't insist . . . who knows if it's even the correct picture?

One scary thing is he has no feedback as a seller, and the exact photos from your auction are from one of his purchases made in May! Buyer beware!
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160592145428#ht_1888wt_1139

That's what has me wondering. Taking to an authorized dealer is not in the cards, its roughly 300 miles round trip to the nearest dealer per Montblanc's dealer locator.

for that much you have to wonder what happened to the winning bidder?i say proceed with caution

When I bought mine (not quite such an investment) I ran all kinds of checks myself. Back then you could shine a strong light through the plastic and if it glowed red you were golden. Now, the frauds are really good and usually the nibs give it away. That one looks good but I can't insist . . . who knows if it's even the correct picture?

One scary thing is he has no feedback as a seller, and the exact photos from your auction are from one of his purchases made in May! Buyer beware!

First how do you find that info? Second, thanks I think I'll pass on it.

+1 on the buyer beware. Not only did the seller "borrow" the pictures from another auction, he "borrowed" the description as well.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You like that detective work? Thanks!

Look up any buyer's feedback before you make a bid for anything over $20 is my motto.

i have been ripped off on ebay before with montblanc pens. i will never buy one on there again.. i would spend the money and buy it from a brick and mortar store or from a reputable online dealer like fountainpenhospital.com.... i want a 149 soooo bad but i am waiting until i go to vegas next so i can buy one from an actual montblanc store. that way i will have piece of mind.

Don't do it. Don't spend that much on the possibility of a fake.
A lot of nice vintage MB pens can be had for cheap like the 22, 220, 320 etc.
If you are looking for a new one, go to an authorized dealer.

I'd be very upset if my MB turned out to be a fake.
It's not worth the headache.

Don't do it. Don't spend that much on the possibility of a fake.
A lot of nice vintage MB pens can be had for cheap like the 22, 220, 320 etc.
If you are looking for a new one, go to an authorized dealer.

I'd be very upset if my MB turned out to be a fake.
It's not worth the headache.

I am not going to do it, I'll just bit the bullet and pay a bit more. Fountain Pen Hospital, an authorized dealer, has some fairly decent prices when you contact them, so will give them a call tomorrow.

I am not going to do it, I'll just bit the bullet and pay a bit more. Fountain Pen Hospital, an authorized dealer, has some fairly decent prices when you contact them, so will give them a call tomorrow.

Whew! You'll enjoy it that much more knowing it's real. :thumbup1:

Got an e bay message from seller this morning saying he had taken it to Montblanc botique to get price on getting nib changed, and got price but he could not docuement anything too do with authenicity, but he still gurantees authenicity, I wonder how?

Maybe he's just saying it is, because that's what the boutique told him, and if a boutique doesn't affirm that for you, he'll give you your money back.
Buyer protection is on your side here.

There's no way he can without the proper documentation.
It's all on honour with out it.
But how can you confirm it's a fake?
If you bought it, where could you go to find out?
Montblanc will tell you to buy from an authorized retailer.

I emailed them back in 2002 about authenticty and this is what they said then.

Most Montblanc writing instruments have three distinguishing marks to prove the authenticity of our product.

*As of 1991, writing instruments are assigned a serial number that appears on the clip band.
*As of mid-1997, our trademark "PIX" has been engraved on the inside of the clip.
*As of mid 2000 our trademark "PIX" is also engraved on the center band of the writing instrument.

If one, or any of these distinguishing marks have been removed, the warranty claim and service from Montblanc, Inc. is VOID.

The serial number is put on the pen when it is manufactured in Germany, then the numbers are recorded before they are shipped to our distribution center in New Jersey. Germany only records the numbers to be able to tell which country they are shipped to.

Agree with the others. Too many fakes on the bay. Fakers too good these days.

If you would be satisfied with a 146 instead of a 149, I have one that I never use that I could sell to you. Send me a PM if interested.

Top Bottom