What's new

Nib question for the experts

N.B.: I don't have a camera at work so I can't get you pictures.

I pulled out my vintage UK Duofold today for the week at work.
I haven't really used this pen except to sign the occasional cheque.
So today I hit the paper like I do with every other pen.
But if the nib is straight on the paper it's scratchy as all can be moving left to right.
Only left to right. Up and down is fine, right to left is fine.

I rotate the nib counter clockwise and it writes like a dream.
I rotate the nib clockwise and it doesn't write at all.

What kind of nib is on this thing. I look at it and it's definitely not round.
It looks like an italic, but I don't have this problem with my Edison italic nib.

I just don't know enough about nibs yet.

When you write does the nib flex under gentle pressure, meaning do the the tines seperate. Writing figure eights on a paper sack does help in mking the nib less scratchy. The nib might be a italic nib also.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Maybe it's an oblique nib, made to accommodate a person who twists the pen slightly. Common in European pens.

Maybe read here. Nibs I: The Basics See if it looks like the oblique in the middle, this seems possible.

Last edited:
It doesn't appear to flex.
I do have a flexible nib on my MB 320 so I have some experience with flexible nibs.

Maybe it's an oblique nib, made to accommodate a person who twists the pen slightly. Common in European pens.

Maybe read here. Nibs I: The Basics See if it looks like the oblique in the middle, this seems possible.

Based on the pictures and my poor vision I think it might be oblique.
It lays down a nice even wet line.
I'm thinking it's not italic.
When you hold it the right way it sure is smooth.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You just have to find the sweet spot which may be a little tighter than an ordinary round nib.

I have a vintage Duofold that does the exact same thing. If I hold it like I do my other modern pens then it lays down a thin and scratchy line. However if I rotate the pen slightly clockwise, it suddenly becomes one of the best writers I have. My nib has no flex nor is it an oblique. I'm thinking it's just a quirk of the pen. I'm happy just to alter my technique when using it, it's not hard to rotate it slightly and, like I say, when I do it writes wonderfully.

Pete

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Very nice article. Everyone should have a read.
My eyes aren't so good. I'll need a jewelers loupe.
Yay, an excuse to buy more stuff :w00t:

Leevalley . . . I picked up a set for somewhere around 5 bucks at a location here in Toronto. 2x, 5x, and 10x. A good place to buy space pens as well. (and hones if you are into or going to get into straight razors or kitchen knives)

Leevalley . . . I picked up a set for somewhere around 5 bucks at a location here in Toronto. 2x, 5x, and 10x. A good place to buy space pens as well. (and hones if you are into or going to get into straight razors or kitchen knives)

Uh Oh. Lee Valley is a good place to blow the pay cheque.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Uh Oh. Lee Valley is a good place to blow the pay cheque.

Now imagine you worked close enough to get to it and back at lunch time. . . . suffice it to say many folk on my list received some of the quirky things I liked there. Several years ago my father in law received a series of cartoon books featuring the "bull of the woods" . . . something from his teen years . . . he sat there leafing through the books laughing his fool head off.

Yes the store is a dangerous place . . . hmmmm kinda like "the nib".

Top Bottom