What's new

Most Aggressive OC Gillette?

Hey NEW/Old users out there,

I've recently started using my Single Ring again, and its pretty aggressive. I was wondering for those of you that have tried many of the OC gillettes out there, which did you find the most aggressive?

I've tried almost every TTO, but this era of Gillette I'm a bit inexperienced with...

I'm looking for a user grade piece, so I don't mind having to hunt down a Big Fellow, Big Boy, New Deluxe, etc... I don't care how rare it is, but the heftier and more aggressive the better.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Maybe it's not so "hefty," but the Sheraton/Senator open-comb TTO is ferally aggressive, and it's heavy enough!

Maybe it's not so "hefty," but the Sheraton/Senator open-comb TTO is ferally aggressive, and it's heavy enough!

I've tried them both, along with the #15 and the 30's aristocrat and just didn't find them as aggressive as the 3 piece OCs. I still love my OC TTOs, but I'm looking at delving into the myriad of 3 piece razors that were made from 1920-1939. Theres just SO many...

Theres just SO many...

Yes there are. The most aggressive for me are the Old Type and New Deluxe. But I get my best shaves with the British Long Comb.
proxy.php

I agree with Xillion- Old type has been the most aggressive 3 piece Gillette I've shaved with, followed secondly by a New Deluxe. Love the New Deluxe, did not have fun with the Old Type.

I've tried them both, along with the #15 and the 30's aristocrat and just didn't find them as aggressive as the 3 piece OCs. I still love my OC TTOs, but I'm looking at delving into the myriad of 3 piece razors that were made from 1920-1939. Theres just SO many...

I see. Well, maybe my Sheraton had a rough childhood and grew up mean! The next most aggressive OC in my arsenal would be the long-combed NEW, and it's not even in the same league. I suppose the New Improved could be termed aggressive, while the short-combed NEW and the Old Type are effective enough to avoid being called "mild," but none of them command the attention I pay when shaving with the Sheraton. I haven't yet stumbled across a Big Fellow, English OC, or 30s 'Crat so those don't fit into my opinion wheel.

Thanks Chris for the helpful photo. I see there are several variations on the UK LC New. Do they all shave the same (of what you've sampled) in your experience?

And Jeff, of the New Deluxe variants, what are the major ones? As you know, the TTO I have a pretty solid understanding of. The NEW, not so much...

I see. Well, maybe my Sheraton had a rough childhood and grew up mean! The next most aggressive OC in my arsenal would be the long-combed NEW, and it's not even in the same league. I suppose the New Improved could be termed aggressive, while the short-combed NEW and the Old Type are effective enough to avoid being called "mild," but none of them command the attention I pay when shaving with the Sheraton. I haven't yet stumbled across a Big Fellow, English OC, or 30s 'Crat so those don't fit into my opinion wheel.

Haha, rough childhood...

I actually found the Sheraton to be VERY mild. Comparable to a red tip. Very strange, I know. The Senator was more aggressive, but only slightly. I haven't experienced an OC gillette with the same bite as a single ring, so I was hoping to get some recommendations on the other 3 piece OCs. I have had a good experience with the New Standard. I imagine the other NEW razors are closer to that than to the Sheraton or Single Ring

Thanks Chris for the helpful photo. I see there are several variations on the UK LC New. Do they all shave the same (of what you've sampled) in your experience?

In my experience the various UK Long Combs shave the same providing that they are fitted with the same cap.
There are a couple different versions of the UK cap. For me the one seen below is the most comfortable.
proxy.php

Here is one that is similar to a US cap. For me it is not as smooth as the one above, even on the same head.
But as always YMMV.
proxy.php

There are also a couple offset pin versions, such as the one shown below.
This one is my personal favorite. The cap profile is the same as the one
in the first image above.
proxy.php

Last edited:
And Jeff, of the New Deluxe variants, what are the major ones? As you know, the TTO I have a pretty solid understanding of. The NEW, not so much...

New Deluxe Norfolk, New Belmont/Criterion, Big Boy, 34' Red and Black. There are other really rare and expensive ones, but these are the usual suspects.

Chris: I see one of those is the NEW and the last one is the service set, but is the first one a #77 by chance?

And thanks Jeff. I suppose the English Belmont is a rare variety, along with the chromium De Luxe big boy? Ever seen any for sale?

I have several Gillette OC's and I think my NEW Deluxe criterion is the most aggressive of the bunch. My Sheraton is very efficient but I wouldn't call it really aggressive. I haven't used big boys so I can't comment on that.

+1. Great photo.

My vote goes to the tuckaway. When I feel like living life on the edge I put a Feather in the tuckaway. In my experience it is way more aggressive than the Senator, or any of the News that I have tried.

Joglander

For sheer blade gap aggression, I'd have to give it to the NEW DeLuxe followed by the New Improved. They're very efficient shavers, but perhaps a little much for every day use. The Old Type I don't find so much "aggressive" as I do "unforgiving." It's very finicky about blade angle and if you're not giving it your undivided attention it will let you know about it.

I'm with Chris on favoring the British long-comb NEW (the American long-comb is a very close second), though I prefer the older models with the thicker guard plate. They're not the most aggressive, but I find them a very good balance. The later ones start getting a little too Tech-like for my taste. The razor on the right in both of these pictures is one of the type I'm talking about.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom