What's new

Help restoring a NEW

Hey, gang, found a NEW at an antique store yesterday. It was in an EverReady case, which was falling apart, but the razor is in okay shape. One side of it, however, is in need of work. I've attached pictures, but basically there's a green patina on one corner of the head, and pitting on the very last tine. I've used soaks in dish soap and the Bubbles, and taken a toothbrush to it. I think my next step is some brass cleaner, but wanted to get the community's input. I don't need this to be museum-quality (replating is outside of my budget, I think) but would love to shave with something that's 80 years old. Thanks in advance for the help!

$BW.jpg$Corner.jpg$Full.jpg$Comb.jpg$UnderComb.jpg

The B&W picture is here, by the way, not just for artistic value but because it really brings out the pitting in that tine.

Tough one because the plating is pretty thin and somewhat fragile on these razors. You don't want to get overly aggressive about trying to polish one because you can take the plating right off.

I think stripping the plating completely and polishing the base metal is the only way you're going to make this one look nice. I'd go for it. Break out the most abrasive polish you have and go to town.

That's about what I figured. The toothbrush already did a little number on it, so I was about to call the finish a loss. Maybe I'll be able to get it a little matte ant steampunky, haha!

Is Brasso a good choice? I don't have any supplies myself.

I would tend to agree with David. It appears that the plating is to far gone on the head. I would take a tooth brush and baking soda paste give it a good scrub and then polish good with Mothers, Flitz, or a polish of your choice. The plating will come off and it will be nice, shiny brass and copper. This will be fine for shaving but dry it well after the shave.

Thanks, Mike! I'll be definitely doing this. I appreciate the pictures, and look forward to being able to use the razor... eventually.

Any green colored metal is corroded copper or brass, and will polish right off, but it will leave pink colored copper (or off-gold colored brass) in it's place. The best solution is to re-plate the razor in something like nickel. They will strip any corrosion or old plating off before re-plating the razor.

Here's an update, after significant scrubbing with both Bar Keeper's Friend and Comet. Next step is probably something to make it shiny again, like a Brasso.
$2011-08-07_22-43-01_65.jpg$2011-08-07_22-43-18_227.jpg
Getting pretty happy with how it looks, thanks to all for the advice! The idea of plating is definitely in my mind, but I'm already way over budget for razors and should probably give it a rest for now :001_smile

Brasso will take the gold off. I have done it on one of my News and it tuned out very nice. The brass will develop a pantina pretty quick, but still looks good, and can be re polished anytime. I used a dremel set on low with polishing disk and it took just a few minutes. Hand polishing will take a little longer. :001_smile

My NEW turned pink where the brass coating came off within a few shaves. Other than that, it is in perfect condition and shaves like a dream, I would probably sterilize it and use it as-is as it seems to be in good condition otherwise.

Remember that the NEW is an aggressive razor, be sure to use it with care.

EDIT: I see your update. The razor looks great for its age and will serve you well.

Thanks a lot! I've run some Maas on it but it didn't do a whole lot since I was just using my hands. Shaved with it yesterday, and while I didn't do an ATG, it turned out to be a pretty darn good shave! Quite a find for only $10!

I polished my NEW with Autosol producing a superb finish then applied lacquer with a paint brush. It looked pretty good for several weeks although the patina slowly returned so I guess the lacquer washed off (?). A more rigorous treatment with lacquer might have been more permanent. There are discussions of lacquering in previous posts I think which can be retrieved by the Search facility.

The NEW is great everywhere except in the finish department. Mine had some really deep-set corrosion, but is a good shaver never the less. I took a whack at getting the old finish and ungodly corrosion off, and decided to leave it be :001_smile
proxy.php

I'd soak it in boiling water to get any thin lacquer that is still on off. Then polish with a gentle metal polish. The News look great stripped down to the copper and brass. I wouldn't use brasso as it's too abrasive,,, IMHO. Good Luck.

I think these razors are some of the most beautiful out there, a little bit of elbow grease and they are good for another bunch of years, I used Nev R dull wadding .

proxy.php

M

magelsen

The recommendation on removing the lacquer is good. I use a hot alkali solution. You could use baking soda or lye drain cleaner and hot water to make one. This strips the lacquer off so that polishing off gold is significantly easier. Deft clear wood finish can be bought in a spray can at Home Depot and is a nitrocellulose lacquer that will work great to protect the brass after it is polished. If the plating is in tact on an old gold razor the discolored lacquer can be removed with the solution and a soft toothbrush and then a new lacquer applied and it will look as good as new.

Top Bottom