What's new

Best way to stretch work boots?

Hello Everyone!

A good friend of mine gave me a pair of new steel toed Red Wing boots. They fit me fine but are just a tad, and I mean just a tad snug. Very comfortable though.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to a good way to stretch them out a little bit?

I've heard of a few different ways:

--Put the boots on while wearing a thick pair of socks and soak the boot in water, then wear them until completely dry.

--Put a one gallon zip lock bag full of water into the boots then put in the freezer overnight. The expanding ice will stretch them out.

What are your thoughts and comments on either of these two?

I thank you all very much for your thoughts and comments!

are they snug in width or length?
if in width i'd just oil them and wear them they will stretch out..
if in length they are just too small and will not stretch

The length seems fine, they are a tad snug in the width.

You don't think they'd stretch using the zip lock bag with water in the freezer trick?

go get a good quality oil and soak them good. Multiple coats of oil let them set and dry, then put one more coat on and then go for a walk with the soxs that your are going to wear not some oversized sox.

Wear them, let them dry (a foot sweats something like a 1/4 cup a day, disgusting isn't it?). Repeat as needed and before long, they'll fit like a glove.

I usually wear a size 8 shoe and when I went to the Red Wing Store they fitted me and suggested a size 7. I tried it on and it was more than snug..........it was very tight. They told me that it would feel that way for a while but it would conform to your foot and would become very comfortable. They said give it a month and i told them if it did not feel comfortable I would demand a replacement. Well, it took more than a month but with regular wear it now feels very good. The boot is made of real leather they said and it will conform to your foot. I did not do any of the suggestions above. Anyway, too much oil is not good for leather. Do your due research. Go to a Red Wing Dealer and say it was a gift from a friend and have your foot measured by them and ask what size they would suggest.

Mike

As a young man growing up and as a soldier...soak the boot in hot water for twenty minutes, drain the water, wipe out excess and then wear them with the socks you will normally wear until dry. After they are dry apply a good boot oil and you will be good to go.

Works every time.

I had a pair of boots like that and took them to a professional shoe repair guy and he stretched them for me with his stretching tools. Worked good.

Top Bottom