What's new

forum newbie, shaving oldie

Just joined the B&B. I've slowly worked my way into the type of shaving the group seems to share. I've been using a mug and brush for well over a decade. I have sensitive skin and that method gives me the least razor burn. When I got sick of the cartridge razor game I grew a beard. (silly but true.) When I decided to shave again I used a straight razor I got cheap in an antique market and fixed up and sharpened, stropping on a lightly used barbers strop that I inherited. This worked well enough but the maintenance was a pain in the neck. I just got a Lord L6 from Amazon and love it. Glides smooth as silk ( I'm using the free blade that came with it until my order of Derby Extra blades arrives) with a nice close shave. The ten cent a piece blades make it a terrific combination.

Ok that is my shaving history. I can't wait to explore the forum some more.

Finn

Interesting start you got going there. I've also got a Lord L6 and find it to be a decent shaver. I'd like to suggest you try a nice assortment pack of blades next to see what suits you best. You can also find that on Amazon, or you might want to check out http://www.westcoastshaving.com/ They've got most anything you might want. Another thing you may want to look for is a heaver handle for your Lord. Here's one place to look, https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/
Welcome to B&B, and All The Best,

Self-taught sharpening and shaving with a straight? I salute you sir!
Using a DE can feel like cheating in comparison, can't it?
Welcome!

Self-taught sharpening and shaving with a straight? I salute you sir!
Using a DE can feel like cheating in comparison, can't it?
Welcome!

I hand sharpen knives and tools to sharpening the razor wasn't that hard, except that the one I got had been sharpened badly in the past and has a curved blade now. It does feel like cheating, but I'm not much of a morning person so it's nice to be able to shave in the morning without worrying about my jugular. lol.

:biggrin1: Yeah, that's why I never want to use a straight.

Welcome to B&B!

+1 the blade sampler.

You may not need it, but you're a mature enough shaver to know what you don't know... Check the sticky at the top of this forum page. Lots in it for things you may have been asking yourself. Probably a lot in it that you already figured out.

Welcome Finn. I hope you enjoy your time here. You will find a great group of folks that are eager to help you get the most out of your shaves...and some green out of your wallet. :001_smile

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom