What's new

What do you do with your old scales?

Hi guys,

I don't make my own scales, difficult in an apartment, and have been looking around to get some old scales to recycle on my restored razors.

I haven't found much luck out there and was wondering do people keep them, reuse them or throw them out?

I am hoping there is a old scale hoarder out there who has been wondering what to do with them :001_smile

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I keep my old scales and use them together with microfastener nut and bolts as temporary handles for scaleless blades so I can test hone and shave with them before making a new set...funny enough, although Gold Dollar razors are well know for having crappy scales, I find them perfect for temporary scales, and actually, would work just as well for permanent, albeit plain looking, scales...a lot of people toss them out, so maybe post a WTB thread? I have a few but all are used, so I have none to offer....):.

Most people will reuse scales if they are still good, and the ones not reused are usually cracked, pitted, etc, so they may be hard to come by without paying a little for them...

I save them to use as a template for making new scales. Usually the original manufacturer did a pretty good job of getting the portions right between the scales and the blade, replicating that just simplifies the process.

I save them to use as a template for making new scales. Usually the original manufacturer did a pretty good job of getting the portions right between the scales and the blade, replicating that just simplifies the process.

I do the same, but I just keep a labled traced copy of the scale. If the scales are horn I keep them in a box for later use. I thought about grinding them into a powder and mixing the powder with epoxy to make new scales.

Top Bottom