What's new

Why are some soaps going vegan?

Why are some soaps going vegan?

I don't get it. Is it cheaper for the manufactures? Or because of "ethical concerns"?
I don't think it's about ethics since tallow is obtained from the animals we eat. Right?

I will pray for some soaps continue to be tallow-based.

you eat animals????o the horror,the horror....you should join peta(pepole enjoying tasty animals:}but back to your first question;its bad to use any animal by products.but then vegans think it bad to eat animals.i on the other hand think animals taste great.

Are some soaps specifically marketed as Vegan? That is, does the advertising stress that no animal products were used? Which brands? I'm not arguing, just asking, as I hadn't really noticed. I know that some of my soaps don't have tallow, like VdH, but the boxes just list the ingredients; they don't say "tallow free" or anything like that. It could just be that the makers think that this is a good way to make a soap, and don't care one way or another about animal products. I really don't know.

I guess my favorites do have tallow, but there are some non tallow ones that work very well for me.

This is an interesting question. For my two cents, I think it must boil down to cost. I'm guessing tallow is more expensive to produce than vegetable based oils (glycerin). I just can't imagine that all these soap makers are actually concerned that consumers care that animal fat is being used. I mean sheesh, we all eat hamburgers, right?

This is an interesting question. For my two cents, I think it must boil down to cost. I'm guessing tallow is more expensive to produce than vegetable based oils (glycerin). I just can't imagine that all these soap makers are actually concerned that consumers care that animal fat is being used. I mean sheesh, we all eat hamburgers, right?

As far as I know, glycerine is an animal by-products. I can't recall where, but I've read that products containing glycerine are avoided by hardcore vegans.

Are some soaps specifically marketed as Vegan? That is, does the advertising stress that no animal products were used? Which brands? I'm not arguing, just asking, as I hadn't really noticed. I know that some of my soaps don't have tallow, like VdH, but the boxes just list the ingredients; they don't say "tallow free" or anything like that. It could just be that the makers think that this is a good way to make a soap, and don't care one way or another about animal products. I really don't know.

I guess my favorites do have tallow, but there are some non tallow ones that work very well for me.

I'm very sorry for the confusion I caused. I actually meant non-tallow based, rather than 100% vegetable. However, if you to the soap section at the superior shave, Jarrod the owner, describes Valobra soft bar as a 100% vegan soap. Here's the link: http://thesuperiorshave.com/Shaving_Creams.html#valobra

A. European regulations are making it tougher to use tallow, due to health concerns (mad cow, etc).
B. "Animal Free" is trendy now.
C. Tallow substitutes are cheaper.

Probably D, All of the Above

A. European regulations are making it tougher to use tallow, due to health concerns (mad cow, etc).
B. "Animal Free" is trendy now.
C. Tallow substitutes are cheaper.

Probably D, All of the Above
The EU regulations have been in place ever since the beginning of the CJD outbreak, and with the number of cases dropping to almost nothing the vast majority of raw bovine product is in the safe categories where it is safe to use. Basically the regulation has out-regulated itself by now.

Personally I feel that by far the main component of the answer is 'B'. Animal rights are strongly lobbied for here in Europe; over here in the Netherlands we even have a (small) political party in parliament with a very stable voter base which brings up these issues time and time again. That in case of soap the required oils make deforestation in tropical regions go all that faster, thus destroying the habitat of countless of much rarer animals than cattle is something you do not hear, though.

That all said, the tallow fetish of many B&B denizens is decidedly unhealthy. There are plenty of non-tallow soaps out there which are really good and deliver perfectly fine shaves.

The animal rights groups are also active in the U.S. I have seen boycotts and demonstrations by these individuals, particularly in larger cities.

I agree to some degree if some people prefer tallow on their plates rather than on their faces. I also know that some vegetable-based soaps deliver as good shaves.

However, I think that some people should start an organization that that stops those animal rights activist before they do whatever they want. Fortunately, there is the Centre for Consumer Freedom in the USA, as well as Hunters Against PETA. Those animal activist want to rule the world slowly, and their counterparts shouldn't be resting. Do you want them to put pressure to stop the production of brushes, horn handles/scales or even strops? Somebody has to put some pressure back.

And I think that people (not everyone of course) are always so "ethic". I know some, who sometimes get aggressive just because you are not of their crowd and tell you that you are unsensitive etc etc. That's ethic? Hitler and the nazis were vegetarians and animal defenders!!

Don't want to go off-topic and don't want to offend anyone. But that's my experience with vegetarians I've known.

Top Bottom