What's new

Four Passes.....meh

Set my Slim back from 4 to 3 and let 'er rip!

WTG, XTG, XTG, AGT.

Could've gone all day with zero irritation, (that was nice!) but I didn't get the closeness I would've liked.

I seem to do better on 4 with two passes and touch-ups. (Lots of blade buffing).

5 hurts.

Well..there is that correct "blade n razor" combo..get that smoooth BBS feel and no irritation is matter of trial and error if you have different blades n razors..took me a while to find mine and im still realizing more and more as I have 4 DE and a boatload of blades from Europe..good lather and minimal pressure is also vital..especially with adjustable razors ya gotta find that "sweet spot number"

Well..there is that correct "blade n razor" combo..get that smoooth BBS feel and no irritation is matter of trial and error if you have different blades n razors..took me a while to find mine and im still realizing more and more as I have 4 DE and a boatload of blades from Europe..good lather and minimal pressure is also vital..especially with adjustable razors ya gotta find that "sweet spot number"

I admit to using a sub-par blade today. A Dorco that came with my Merkur.

And I'm still rotating through my different samples.

Sometime more passes leads to overshaving and irritation. I tried more passes when I first started DE shaving, and I had nothing but redness and irritation.

I finally found just doing 2 passes, one a combination of WTG and XTG, followed by ATG and any cleanup worked best for me. Keep trying diferent combo's until you find what works best for yourself.

Sometime more passes leads to overshaving and irritation. I tried more passes when I first started DE shaving, and I had nothing but redness and irritation.

I finally found just doing 2 passes, one a combination of WTG and XTG, followed by ATG and any cleanup worked best for me. Keep trying diferent combo's until you find what works best for yourself.

I've had similar results with that approach. There are always a few patches with chaotic grain that need a touchup, but by-and-large I use the 2-pass system with a Slim on 7.

In my early days of DE shaving (2008) I tried "the 4-pass shave". Not pleasant, definitely overshaving. Soon after that I settled on 2 passes + cleanup, I can do that every day without problems.

The four pass shave works for me. No irritation, cuts, or nicks. But for me it takes the right blade and razor to do the job. This past week I used a Red Tip with a Personna Med Prep blade. No need to touch up. BBS shave all the way. :closedeye

When I use an adjustable I generally start at a mid range setting for the first pass and then work up. For example, my WTG pass on a slim or FB is at 5 or 6. The XTG passes are at 6 and 7. My ATG pass on my face is at 7 or 8 except for me neck will be at 6 or 7. My settings vary depending on how much beard reduction I got from the previous pass.

But, if a two or three pass shave works for you, then go for it.

Most days I do a four pass shave without any irritation. It is definitely blade/technique driven. I have had unpleasant experiences with some blade/razor combinations and make a mental note to not try that again. If you keep experimenting with blade/razor combinations you will find the ones that work with your beard/skin. Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

When I use an adjustable I generally start at a mid range setting for the first pass and then work up. For example, my WTG pass on a slim or FB is at 5 or 6. The XTG passes are at 6 and 7. My ATG pass on my face is at 7 or 8 except for me neck will be at 6 or 7. My settings vary depending on how much beard reduction I got from the previous pass.

My worry is that I'll irritate my face if I turn it up after the first pass. Not true?

Two passes and touch-up is working better for me also. The combination of the two passes depends on the area.

Less is more in shaving, I'm learning. Less blade contact along with good everything else helps me achieve a comfortable shave. Much of my face being shaved on a third or fourth pass isn't really getting appreciably smoother. Just irritated.

My worry is that I'll irritate my face if I turn it up after the first pass. Not true?

Probably depends on your face, but for me it is not true. Also, I do the opposite of what Ackvil does. I'll start out with a setting of 9 (on a slim) for WTG and ATG (ever so delicately!) and clean up @ 5 or 6. Beard tough as barb wire, skin soft as cream cheese! At higher settings and using less pressure I get less, sometimes no, irritation. For me a sure guarantee for burn is trying to get a really close shave at "3" or so. It don't work! Seems counterintuitive, but that's what works for me.

The method I use is the same method (although not the settings) Mantic 59 uses. See http://mantic59.blogspot.com/2010/03/adjustable-razor-sweet-spot.html.

The reason I increase my settings is that the first pass gets the bulk of the stubble without any irritation. The subsequent passes are for more beard reduction and that is accomplished with a higher setting. However, if I get what I want after three passes then I stop.

[FONT=&quot] My neck area is sensitive and so I dial down for that area. Also, if I shave in the a.m. and find I have an evening appointment I dial down shave at a lower number allows me to look presentable without the risk of irritation.

[/FONT]

Top Bottom