What's new

Big soap order, first impressions.

I put in an $80 order at WCS to get the free shipping, it came in today.

First impressions- FedEX shipping, fast, with tracking number.:thumbsup:

Tabac in jar- The jar is milk glass with a hard plastic top (wish I would have just got the refill) The scent- I've smelled it before, but am a little foggy on where. Maybe some lady's product like a hand lotion. As it is, overpowering, but on the bright side, if I take the lid off it can deodorize the bathroom after use instead of burning matches.

MWF- No scent/less scent than Ivory soap.

Irisch Moos Stick- dead ringer for Irish Spring deodorant soap.

Speick stick- Different but pleasant. Almost head shop/patchouli smelling but not. Very masculine. Very simple packaging, will mill into a dish for sure.

Provence Sante- Smells like SPF 1000 sunscreen, not the coconut one.

Cyril Saltier- Lavender. Nice and simple.

Godrej Deluxe cream- Smells kind of like Johnson and Johnson's Burn Cream. Not bad.

Proraso tub- Green tub. Surprising mild, was expecting more menthol whang to it.

The Tabac will calm down in a few days, for the first week I couldn't even use it, the scent gave me a headache. Now I tolerate it because it's a great soap.
My MWF has a nice clean soapy scent, I like it a lot.

1st shave with Tabac-

I realized the nose in the jar scent is no more strong than anything else, like Dial Mountain whatever body wash, or Suave Rosemary Mint shampoo. It is ALL strong until you start lathering with it, then it mellows out a lot. No harm no foul Tabac. Just don't stick your nose in the jar.

I put a splash of water on the puck and jumped in the shower. The water all absorbed and none poured off when I went to lather. Williams training kicked in. Got 90% of the water out of the brush, swirled for a minute to load, went to the bowl and started swirling... nothing. Ok a little water, meh, more water, soupy lather starts forming, more water, more soupy lather, and so on... until I had a bowl full of soupy lather. Hmm, ditch it and start over.

Started with a little more water in the brush, it loaded better. Went to the bowl, started swirling and started with some lather, a little water kicked it in and started blowing up, a little more and I had thick rich lather.

The shave was about normal, meaning really good.

Lessons- maybe it was the fact that it was a new puck and there was maybe a harder outer layer that needed to be rubbed off, maybe it was just that I needed to have more water to load with. Either way, Tabac is a winner.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Congrats on getting all those goodies! :wink2: And kudos to West Coast Shaving for its always wonderful customer service! :thumbup1:

1st shave with Tabac-

I realized the nose in the jar scent is no more strong than anything else, like Dial Mountain whatever body wash, or Suave Rosemary Mint shampoo. It is ALL strong until you start lathering with it, then it mellows out a lot. No harm no foul Tabac. Just don't stick your nose in the jar.

I put a splash of water on the puck and jumped in the shower. The water all absorbed and none poured off when I went to lather. Williams training kicked in. Got 90% of the water out of the brush, swirled for a minute to load, went to the bowl and started swirling... nothing. Ok a little water, meh, more water, soupy lather starts forming, more water, more soupy lather, and so on... until I had a bowl full of soupy lather. Hmm, ditch it and start over.

Started with a little more water in the brush, it loaded better. Went to the bowl, started swirling and started with some lather, a little water kicked it in and started blowing up, a little more and I had thick rich lather.

The shave was about normal, meaning really good.

Lessons- maybe it was the fact that it was a new puck and there was maybe a harder outer layer that needed to be rubbed off, maybe it was just that I needed to have more water to load with. Either way, Tabac is a winner.

I use the "Marco" method to lather with most of my soaps. 60 seconds of loading and BAM, mounds of hydrated lather for smooooth shaving. It is really fool proof.:001_smile

1st try MWF

I followed Mantics video on lathering with MWF. I got ok lather but not copious amounts. I think I just couldn't get the water to it good enough. The lather is really slick, though. No noticeable scent. I think I will experiment with it a little until I get the lather I like.

The Derby blades just didn't give me a good shave. I don't blame the soap.

I found the ramekin to hold it at World Market, $1.99. Picked up an extra for the Cyril Saltier. They work really well. The dish is deep enough to get the soap and the brush in without the handle touching. No klink klink klink, plenty of room for big swirls of the brush.

Last edited:
Nice inventory of good products. I am very fond of the Tabac, MWF, Irisch Moos and Cyril Salter. I have the Provence Sante Green Tea and Proraso Green Tea and like them very much. Good luck and have fun experimenting with your new products.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom