What's new

Shoe Shine Tutorial

I've been looking on the site, and I've found suggestions about what to include in a basic shoe shine kit, but can't seem to find a tutorial on the best way to maintain one's shoes. Is there a tutorial I am just not finding? And if not, is there someone who could just send a quick one my way? Thanks!!

I can't send you a tutorial per se, but I can give you a quick run down on how I shine my shoes (been shining shoes for close to 10 years, so this is my technique, not necessarily gospel though).

- Start with a clean pair of shoes - remove all old polish (I use denatured Alcohol, it is a gentle form of paint thinner).

- Take a clean white cotton t-shirt and make that your polish rag, wrap it around your index finger and get lick the cotton cloth (or use dab in water) then get about a nickle size amount of your favorite shoe polish (I like Kiwi regular the best) and lick/dab the cloth again.

- Start working small circles in the toe section and continue to lick/dab the rag until you start to see a gloss. Then repeat this process on the upper portion of the shoe and the heel area. I usually do 2-3 coats in the toe area and 1-2 on the rest; you may need a few more coats at first if you are just starting out.

- If at this point, your shoes look good enough then lightly buff with old pantyhose until dry and glossy.

- If you want more, once you get your base coats down transition to a paper towel (bounty or brawney) and wrap it around your finger the same way. Dab a dime size amount of polish and start your small circles in the same manner as before. I usually do 2 coats this way, then I buff with my old pantyhose. With each coat, use a slightly smaller amount of polish.

I like spit better for this, but some people prefer water - all personal preference. The polish will not hurt you though if you lick it. The key to a good shine is a good base coat and then layers after that. Also make sure you have a decent amount of moisture so you really work the polish into the leather. The combination between the friction and the moisture is what is going to give you a good shine.

Hope that helps.

I usually do it every time I wear my shoes (military), but you probably can get away with every other time or even more, depending on how rough you are with them. If I am in a hurry, I will buff and do just the coats with the paper towels. I don't condition them with anything - although I've heard some people use mink oil. I haven't seen any benefit to it though.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The Prof's post had it right. In my case I like to spread out newspaper. Apply polish to one shoe and then the next. By the time you've done the second shoe the first has had time to set up a bit. Nothing beats the horse hair shoe brush. . . . just go to it . . . the brush warms the polish and works it in. I keep a separate brush for black and brown. After polishing my shoes I only put them on close to the door and then go outside to avoid getting polish on rugs and tile.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
These two (2), links' might help you get a better ('bulling'), shine. :yesnod:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/180361-Shoe-shines?highlight=

http://www.hucknallatc.talktalk.net/Getting%20the%20perfect%20shine%20on%20your%20shoes.pdf

Christopher
proxy.php
"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe". Muhammad Ali

Last edited:
It really depends what look you want and what kind of shoe you're wearing. For good smooth bridle leather won't need much at all, rain permitting. I use natural beeswax. Give it a sparing-to-medium coat once, let it dry/be absorbed in a warm place overnight then buff lightly. Follow up only with a brush when dirt has dried or when dusty; in my opinion there is no need for additional waxes or product unless/until the leather is decidedly dried out. This produces a natural shine which comes from the leather, not from your product and after a year or so it takes on a look of lived-in quality.
I used to obsess about my leather, using tins of Nikwax every year and one day I realised, it didn't need it.

Top Bottom