What's new

Best higher-end synthetic

Searches here and elsewhere find threads that suggest the new Muhle 2011 synthetic uses "bristles" that are much bettere than other synthetics. When I upgraded from an entry-level Omega to a Men-U, the improvement was almost startling, and I am eager to be impressed again. Like most here, I try different soaps, creams, etc., but most often I face lather with an Arko stick. Does anyone have recommendations for the best synthetic for my purposes? Thanks.

I had an Edwin Jagger (Muhle) synthetic and I liked it a lot less than my Omega Lucretia Borgia synthetic.

They're just weird man.....:lol:

But they sure dry fast and they don't get deformed.

. When I upgraded from an entry-level Omega to a Men-U, the improvement was almost startling, and I am eager to be impressed again. ..

By entry level, do you mean the Omega Syntex with white bristles?

I think that Omega's step up from syntex---their syn badger brush---is pretty fine. I love mine.

proxy.php

Searches here and elsewhere find threads that suggest the new Muhle 2011 synthetic uses "bristles" that are much bettere than other synthetics. When I upgraded from an entry-level Omega to a Men-U, the improvement was almost startling, and I am eager to be impressed again. Like most here, I try different soaps, creams, etc., but most often I face lather with an Arko stick. Does anyone have recommendations for the best synthetic for my purposes? Thanks.

A review here; http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/203776-Muhle-2011-Synthetic...new-serious-contender

You don't have many options unfortunately. Your Men-U uses the exact same bristles as the next-level Omega. I once had an Omega Lucretia Borgia synth with those bristles and while it was perfectly good, I didn't like the awkward splay they exhibited and how they got scritchy DURING a shave. The new Muhle bristles are better (I'd say 8/10) than the Omega/Men-U (which I rate 7/10).

The only other options you have are the 2009 Muhle/EJ synth bristles, the TOBS synth, and low-end Gillette nylon brushes from India.

You don't have many options unfortunately. Your Men-U uses the exact same bristles as the next-level Omega. I once had an Omega Lucretia Borgia synth with those bristles and while it was perfectly good, I didn't like the awkward splay they exhibited and how they got scritchy DURING a shave. The new Muhle bristles are better (I'd say 8/10) than the Omega/Men-U (which I rate 7/10).

The only other options you have are the 2009 Muhle/EJ synth bristles, the TOBS synth, and low-end Gillette nylon brushes from India.

Thanks for the clear and complete summary. I take your perception of the difference between the new Muhle and the Men-U to be accurate, so the question is whether to buy another brush for a 1/10th improvement or wait until bristle technology takes a giant step.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call the new Muhle only a 1/10th improvement. The bristles BEHAVE differently so it's a new experience, especially if one face-lathers.

Well, I wouldn't exactly call the new Muhle only a 1/10th improvement. The bristles BEHAVE differently so it's a new experience, especially if one face-lathers.

Thanks, Kevan. It won't take much encouragement for me to buy a new toy....

Top Bottom