What's new

badger vs boar lathering

Do you guys have different lathering methods using a boar brush than a badger brush? I am having problems getting a good lather. I watch the vids on youtube and copy what they do but I can't quite get the hang of it. I have an Omega boar brush and in most of the vids, the guy is using a badger. Any help is appreciated.

I use my boar brush for lathering soap. I find that boar collects more through its harsher bristles and this creates a very effective lather for face lathering after swirling on the puck. Badger brushes are denser in most cases and thus are great when cream is applied directly to the bristles, as it will create a lather rapidly. I've used a soft bristled badger on soap and they are definitely less effective at picking up soap.

I use both types interchangeably, and I use them both with the same trechnique mostly. One difference is the badger will hold water better, so I shake it off a little better before putting it to the soap or cream. Other than that, the same.

SC, do you have hard water?

One difference is the badger will hold water better, so I shake it off a little better before putting it to the soap or cream.

+1

My first month, I could not make a good lather because I always used too much water. Once I learned to shake/squeeze more water out, my lather improved quickly.

Both badger and boar can be used interchangeably in my opinion. the "boar for soaps, badger for creams" thing is not necessarily true (for instance, with my floppy Omega silvertip and EJ Super, I can make great lather with hard soaps and my Semogue is a cream monster). Omega boars are terrific brushes however you slice it; you just have to work with them. Two tricks that work well for me for boar are (1) soaking the bristles at least 3-5 minutes before the shave and (2) spend at least 20 seconds loading on the soap puck, if you're using a soap.

I use both & personally find that my badger I use for face lathering (almost exclusivly) and depending on my mood the boar for face or bowl lathering.

I soak my boars while I'm in the shower. Other than that follow Marco's method of building a lather and you'll be home free. Remember, more product is always better.

I only have an omega boar and it has been amazing.

I have never had trouble lathering any cream or soap.

The only problem is that it tends to hold onto most of the lather, so you kinda have to "paint" it on your face after you're done working it over your face.

Generally, boars will need loading up with more products, as badger tend to produce more lather per gram of product. Aside from boar being left a bit wetter to load soap, method is the same.

I don't subscribe to boar for soap badger for cream; it's purely a preference, turned into 'appropriate usage' myth.

I use silvertips for hard soaps -- you don't have to use boar. It's just a matter of using the right technique. I don't have any boars these days but generally I'd leave more water in the boars than in the badgers. Other than that, there's really not much difference in my experience.

Once you get your technique down, each should work well. Obviously, each brush would differ in stiffness, density and perhaps more importantly, water retention so you have to adjust.

Al raz.

The only problem is that it tends to hold onto most of the lather, so you kinda have to "paint" it on your face after you're done working it over your face.

I shaved last night and noticed the same thing, way more lather in the brush than on my face.

In my experience, there can be as much difference between badger brushes as there is between boar brushes. I have found that each brush has its own characteristics and must be taken into consideration whether using soaps or creams. I find some badgers to be incredibly thirsty while others not as much. Some have more backbone than others. I find that each brush should be approached for its own merits and strengths and enjoyed accordingly. If it does not give you enjoyment or you can not get the lather you desire, pass it along on the BST. Of course, always make certain that the brush is well broken in before you make a final judgement.

Regards,

Doug

I use the boar and badger interchangeably, although the technique differs for each brush, even within each category. The boar doesn't hold the lather as well as the badger, between passes.

Top Bottom