What's new

badger vs boar lathering

I may have worked out why I have issues with my boar brush. With my badgers it's easy to fill the whole brush with lather, right down to the base of the knot. But my boar is very dense and thick at the base, and doesn't really allow lather to build there. The base is just wet. There may be lather on the outside, but inside it's just liquid, even if that water is a soapy mix.

I'm sure that watery stuff in the base is what causes the lather elsewhere to break down after a couple of passes.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but would it work better to lather from a soap to bowl with a Boar (since many of you say it loads better from a soap) and then grab the Badger to whip up the lather? I'm a total noob so any hints would help. I'm having trouble getting those nice thick fluffy lathers I see on all the YouTube vids.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Who says you need big globs of fluffy thick whipped cream lather for a good shave? As long as it lubricates your face and, assuming you shave with a DE, has a little body to it, you should be fine. Use more soap/cream, start with a less wet brush, and add water slowly...it should work out well. For fluffy lather, just whip it up longer. YMMV of course, but the longer I shave, the wetter I prefer my lather, and the less time I take whipping it up.

boar brushes are inferior to badgers

They're not. Based on my experience with half a dozen boars, and 4 top line badgers. They're different, and the main one is badger make more lather. Usually more than most people need.

Have you any experience, or just recycling a myth based on the cost differential?

I use omega boar for both soap and cream and get awesome results for both. I face lather, which probably makes quite a difference and I think I may be the only person here who doesn't soak the brush at all....

I use omega boar for both soap and cream and get awesome results for both. I face lather, which probably makes quite a difference and I think I may be the only person here who doesn't soak the brush at all....

I use an Omega boar and I have seen vids of people just running water over their brush instead of soaking them, I might give it a try next shave

I only have an Omega boar. I use hard soaps and face lather, never had a problem, even with MWF, which it seems some people find difficult to lather.

Top Bottom