What's new

CCW: Springfield XD 9mm compact or Glock 19?

SEALs are not using 1911s. They are using SIGs and HKs. Any third generation Glock is far more durable and reliable than a 1911. Just as safe too.

Example here. Also, two of the top pistol instructors in the world; Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorne, specifically recommend against XDs. These guys are brand agnostic but they've see XDs fail left and right at their classes and also don't like the design.

I have several XD's and I have never seen this failure - in fact I have never seen any failures..

XD in 9mm - 12500 rounds - no cleaning - no Jams
XD in 9mm subcompact - 1500 rds no jams
Xd in 45 - 7000 rounds with cleaning - no jams
Xd in 45 sub compact - 4000 rounds and daily carry - no jams...

The pic that is shown could be from a poorly sized cartridge - or the person shooting could have limp wristed the last shot - this will happen to a glock and all semi auto pistols if you go limp wrist while shooting

That is a poor pic of a none locked pistol and no parameters to understand what happened. Hell this guy could have been running handloads and forgot power in one -the primer can force the bullet into the barrel and jam the slide out of lock.... too many variables not know on this one...

SEALs are not using 1911s. They are using SIGs and HKs. Any third generation Glock is far more durable and reliable than a 1911. Just as safe too.

As far as you comment about the 1911 not being durable or reliable - opinion or fact - please site sources...

I have a Springfield Armory WWII 1911 - that has thousands upon thousands of rounds thru it, never a mechanical malfunction not ever...
Now I will admit I have screwed up some reloads, like forgetting the power...duh... and had to push a bullet out of the barrel - but not a malfunction on the guns part.

I carry this weapon with confidence - please tell me why this is not a reliable, and durable gun..

Ever heard of Larry Vickers? Seriously, do you know his credentials?

The 1911 is a vastly manufactured design with varying schools of thoughts on manufacturing tolerances (loose or tight fit) and even magazine capacity. It requires hand fitting of parts and was designed in an age when skilled labor was cheap. Now, that is not the case and it costs good money to get a properly fitted 1911.

As far as the XD, your personal experience with your personal guns is fine and dandy but statistically insignificant sample. Once again, listen to people who train hundreds of people a year in pistol shooting. The XD has failed and faile admirably, every trial conducted by a major law enforcement agency. Your "what ifs" where you attempted to conjecture that a policeman used poor hand loads that might have caused an XD to malfunction were simply that, what ifs.

What training classes have you taken these Glock beating XDs and 1911s to? My Glock has been to training conducted by Todd Green, Larry Vickers, and Kyle DeFoor.

As far as you comment about the 1911 not being durable or reliable - opinion or fact - please site sources...

I have a Springfield Armory WWII 1911 - that has thousands upon thousands of rounds thru it, never a mechanical malfunction not ever...
Now I will admit I have screwed up some reloads, like forgetting the power...duh... and had to push a bullet out of the barrel - but not a malfunction on the guns part.

I carry this weapon with confidence - please tell me why this is not a reliable, and durable gun..

he - just do some reading please... this is from the page that you linked:
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread- been a bit busy lately. He took the pistol to an armorer, who had to beat the slide back with a brass hammer. The cause was determined to be a swelled casing on old ammunition. The primer of the round was never struck. The casing was apparently swelled enough that the force of the slide slamming home after the previous round locked it in the chamber. There was no damage to the weapon after removal.

Never seen this before, but we are disposing of all our old stock of 9mm so this doesn't happen again. Doug Deaton

Loc: North Texas (DFW)
Just to confirm, this was an ammo issue and not a pistol issue? Did you shoot the pistol afterwards?

#95804 - 05/07/11 05:27 PM Re: Help with locked up XD-9 [Re: Doug Deaton]
Orval Stuckemeyer

Loc: Illinois
I wasn't there when they got the gun apart, but according to the armorer who worked on it, it was an ammo issue. Sorry, I don't have pics of the round that caused the problem.

#95823 - 05/08/11 05:09 PM Re: Help with locked up XD-9 [Re: Orval Stuckemeyer]
Barney P

Loc: SC - Lowcountry
Out of curiosity, what was the ammo? We just shot a big regional PPC match and several people, me included, had problems with Remington 115 JHPs. The cases were deformed at the mouth, causing the rounds not to chamber. Coincidentally, an XD locked up exactly like that picture, causing the shooter to no be able to complete that match.

I know, I should have chamber gauged each round before a big match, but since it was "quality ammo" I didn't. Shame on me.

So it was an ammo issue and not a gun issue

IT was not a What if - It was the facts of the posting.

This conversation was fun - but your a glock lover and I am not - so we agree to disagree

My next pistol may be an HK P30. LEM or I might wait for the striker fired variant. It's not that easy to proclaim the argument that way. Glock has had many missteps including but not limited to the Gen3 40's and now the Gen4 9mms (which they claim to have fixed). A real student of the pistol will understand that real data comes from en masse issue and/or statistics and observation from the top trainers. Also, a real student of the pistol will not become emotionally attached to a design.

The XD has been around much longer than say, the S&W M&P yet the M&P is trouncing the XD in law enforcement adoption. The only agency that has adopted the XD is the FDA for their inspectors. Whereas Glock.....well, not much point in listing who's adopted Glocks. The point behind listing who's adopted which pistols is that with these adoptions come trials and testing. Real testing, scientifically gathered data. Look at SIG's utter failure in the recent BATFE trials in which Glock and S&W tied.

The XD isn't even a footnote in military and law enforcement use. There's a reason for this. I am glad you are happy with yours. I post how my Glocks perform during training here and at my blog. I list the drills and round counts, even point out problems with the Gen4 design. I try to be as objective as I can and if a better design comes along, I will move on. There is no emotional attachment here.

Yes you love your glock and you are dedicated to it - thanks

To you- it is the best freaking weapon in existence - and everyone who is anyone uses it.

BTW you not objective your glock centric man...

As you have mentioned in several posts all other guns are trash by the standards set forth by the glocks... every single law enforcement and military establishment either uses glocks or lusts for them

You did not even bother to read my last post where the "What if" turned out to be true - it was the ammo's fault

Sorry, I forgot to point out that in the 10-8 thread, several experienced LEOs noted that they had seen this XD malfunction before.

I think the HKs are superior to Glock. I am happy with my modified Gen4 G19 but have written publicly of the problems with it.

Top Bottom