What's new

Thoughts on TOBS

As folks here may know, I have developed a huge addiction for trumpers. In my opinion, their coconut oil scent is simply the holy grail of shaving. Im on cloud nine, every time, I break out this stuff.

That said, exclusively using it for my shaves is depleting it faster than I had anticipated and it concerns me a bit. So, the other day, while contemplating my choices (my shave den isn't as big as most people's I suppose, only 5 creams), I decided to go with my TOBS mr taylor cream. I havent heard too much about the cream on B&B (sandalwood and lavender seem to get the most mentions) and in the end, my curiosity got the best of me.

I opened the tub for the first time (considering that I got my shaving haul back around christmas, ok a little unexpected) and was pleasantly surprised right off the bat. Very subtle smell, but it was very mascluline nevertheless. Cream lathered up great. No difficulty there. Got some very nice peaks.

Applied it and began my first pass. This was were the first sign of difficulty appeared. The razor glided fine over my skin, but the lather seemed to dry out very fast. In fact, by the time I had done the WTG for half my face, the other half had dried out. Now, I am by no means a fast shaver. I like to take my time with my shaves (~half an hour usually) but I have never had this problem with my GFT.

I probably spent half the time relathering. It was funny. The lather felt very rich but for some reason, it just didn't want to retain it's moisture. I can't explain it (art major here.) I've seen a couple youtube videos of people using it and I never see them relathering through out the shave.

Nevertheless, the results were surprisingly good. Mr taylor got the job done. In fact, the shave was just as close if not closer than my GFT.

I have another TOBS cream (lavendar) that I will probably look into next time.

Mr. Taylor is one of my favorite creams and was my choice for this mornings shave. For me it provided enough luxurious lather for my four pass shave. Perhaps if you add a bit more water to your brush on subsequent passes you will experience a richer lather. I have done so from time to time and found the results outstanding. TOBS creams are among my favorites for their great performance and scents. I think that they are a good value as well.

Regards,

Doug

I'm a big GFT guy, and I also prefer soaps too. One of the only creams I will ever buy again(probably the only one, actually) is TOBS Lemons and Limes. Every guy seems to have one TOBS cream that is just right for them.

@neostyles

I have the TOBS Mr. Taylor's cream too. Of the five times I have used it, all with a new blade, never once have I gotten a satisfactory shave. I have had a better shave with Truefitt & Hill 1805 and Art of Shaving Sandalwood. I think it has something to do with no having parabons but I am not sure. I'd recommend either T&H or AOS.

Jerry

Trumpers rose and TOBS rose were the first two creams I ordered.

I went through both, but I only re ordered the TOBS rose, along with lavender.

This cream seems to be somewhat inconsistent because it is very sensitive with the amount of water you use.

When I notice it drying out before I finish a pass, I will put a few drops of water in the bowl and re lather it until I get the peaks back.

That always fixes it.

I find TOBS creams to be excellent and cheaper than Trumpers and T&H. Rose, Avocado and Mr Taylor and all great creams.

I have been wondering about T&H creams for awhile now. My GFT and my TOBS are missing the last of their cousins Im guesing. I have heard that they can be a little bit on the pricey side. How would you say their scents compare to taylors?

@neostyles: Truefitt & Hill scents are far superior than TOBS. I would recommend you order their sampler pack from their website. It cost around nine dollars plus shipping. That way you can try all of their creams before you buy. For a full size tub I paid 32.00, but the product last a long time if you rotate creams. I use mine everyday so I will have to buy a new one soon. I have T&H 1805, and TOBS mr. Taylor and C.E. Bigelow. I will purchase more T&H in the future none of the others I have tried are as good. I get better consistent shaves and smell great too. I hope this helps!

Best,
Jerry

I have Tobs Sandalwood and its my current favorite. I did try Trumper Sandalwood and it was not slick enough for me but It was the first time I tried lathering and I haven't tried it again

I just got my first TOBS creams recently but haven't used any yet...all i can say is that both Avocado and Mr Taylor smell amazing. Completely different yet both amazing.

TOBS Avacado is a great creme, very mild, and more protective than Poraso. It's probably my favorite creme to date. I tried the lavendar as well, but was less impressed. nice enough scent, but the avacado just gives better lather and a clsoer, smoother shave.

I'm a big fan of Trumper's GFT and Coconut too.
If you're not hurting for cash then stick with the high-end creams.

TOBS (Rose, Avocado, St. James, and Mr. Taylor's) are a great value if you're on a tight budget.

Top Bottom