What's new

Bicycle Commuting

Hi, guys. I'm looking to start commuting with my bicycle--yes, the foot-powered kind. My bike is 8 years old, and everything is original on it. It's a Raleigh 21-speed, and it's got the basics and that's it. I'm attempting to learn everything I can, and attempting to figure out what to budget for first--also trying to figure out how to care for it.

Anyone have any good sites about bicycle commuting for dummies? Or good advice? I know how to pedal, ride, break, and push a bike up a hill. That's about it.

you know how there are folks on this site that can answer any question you might have (sometimes even correctly) about shaving , and shaving paraphenalia? Well allow me to introduce you to bikeforums.net and in particular the Commuting Forum therein. Any specific questions you might have I'm happy to answer as someone who's been bike commuting for over 6 years, and a head mechanic at my local bike coop for over 4. Speaking of, if you happen to have a bike coop near you, that'll be an excellent resource for learning to maintain your bike.

The first thing you'll need in addition to a reliable bike is a way to carry your work stuff. that'll vary depending upon what you need to carry, and how you like to carry it. a backpack or messenger bag may do, or you may need to get some panniers. Also a helmet is always a good idea, though I would be a hypocrite if I said you can't commute without one.

Last edited:
I commute every day that I can. Best advice I can give you is equip your bike with lights. Blinky, strong ones. Be the scared little bunny. You WILL have close calls with drivers. Always assume that the drivers do not see you. Stick to bike paths whenever possible.

This is an wise move on your part. You will get in better shape and be in a better mood all around.

Thank you both! Especially for the link--that's what I've been looking for and not finding! Found a facebook page this morning though. I'm a college student, so (if this interview goes well) I'll have a job, but I'll have to get stuff over time. I'm kind of whelmed by everything right now, and afraid of getting bad stuff or doing bad stuff to my bike without knowing. I love my bike, we've been through everything. I don't know how to drive, so it is my only way of transportation--though I'm working on the learning to drive.

I'm used to the area basic biking and walking-wise, but I want my bike from going what the 12 year old rides to what is actually a usual form of transportation that doesn't leave my shoulders in serious pain.

Thank you both! Especially for the link--that's what I've been looking for and not finding! Found a facebook page this morning though. I'm a college student, so (if this interview goes well) I'll have a job, but I'll have to get stuff over time. I'm kind of whelmed by everything right now, and afraid of getting bad stuff or doing bad stuff to my bike without knowing. I love my bike, we've been through everything. I don't know how to drive, so it is my only way of transportation--though I'm working on the learning to drive.

I'm used to the area basic biking and walking-wise, but I want my bike from going what the 12 year old rides to what is actually a usual form of transportation that doesn't leave my shoulders in serious pain.

If it's not a racing bike, then adding a rear rack, and a set of basic commuting panniers will be a real step in the right direction. I actually use a messenger bag, but my commute is short and my shoulders strong. A rack is always good to have, and you'll want to add fenders for wet days as if you want to show up to work without a skunk stripe of mud up your back. That should be easily accomplished, as long as your frame is not racing geometry. Racing geometry will leave very little clearance for fenders, commuting tires, and rear panniers, so if that turns out to be the case you will want to get a different bike for commuting in order to accommodate the niceties, but unless you actually raced, or bought your bike from a racer, chances are it's a more relaxed "sport" frame with plenty of clearance for tires, fenders, and panniers. That should hold you fine for a while, and then you might want to invest in a full touring bike or a hybrid down the road both of which are well suited to commuting.

The big questions are:

How far is your commute?
Over what terrain (hilly, flat, gravel, pavement, in traffic, on bike path, etc.)?
How much crap do you have to carry with you every day?

Unless your commute is really short, you're going to need some padded bike shorts (trust me, they make a big difference!), an athletic top and a light breathable rain jacket. Depending on how much you have and how far you're going, either a good messenger back that has a waist strap or panniers. Other than that, you're just riding your bike, it's pretty simple.

The most important consideration, IMO, is "Can you shower at work?" :)

I can't afford biking clothes. I don't have problems sitting on the bike for long periods, and if I do, I just stand up for a few minutes. It's a good chance for me to get a drink of water anyway.

I don't know how far my commute is. I'm going to be using it for all my shopping, transportation, and everything else. I'll be doing everything on the bike. And I'm a full-time student, so there's no shower at any job I can possibly get.

Spend time planning a route, even do a dry run to explore. You might find a route that's quicker, safer, and more pleasant.
Carry a spare inner tube and tools to change it.
Reduce the need to shower by going slow - especially for the last few minutes, to cool down. It's easy to get carried away and push hard, but that doesn't really save much time. 10% effort might give 75% of the speed. I'm pulling those numbers from nowhere, but you see the point.

No, it's not a racing bike. It's a 2002 SC30. http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2002&Brand=Raleigh&Model=SC30&Type=bike

It says it's a commuter bike. The best thing about it is I could pick it up at 12. I barely knew how to ride a bike, and it and I have had our share of falls, including me pinned under the bike. It's my baby.

Ah well there ya go, it was designed as a commuter bike, so you're good to go. Slap some fenders and a rack on that puppy, and you should be good to go.

I can't afford biking clothes. I don't have problems sitting on the bike for long periods, and if I do, I just stand up for a few minutes. It's a good chance for me to get a drink of water anyway.

I don't know how far my commute is. I'm going to be using it for all my shopping, transportation, and everything else. I'll be doing everything on the bike. And I'm a full-time student, so there's no shower at any job I can possibly get.

A medium-big messenger bag is handy. Mine is a ReLoad Civilian, not as big as their pro messenger bags, but still has room for all my work stuff with room left over for groceries, or extra clothes. I personally would not want a bigger bag, they don't work so well with only a little stuff in them and can get heavy when fully loaded. Mine was a custom which cost almost $200, but considering I've worn it almost every day for the past several years and it's still going strong, I think it was a bargain. Of course you don't have to spend as much to get a decent bag, but you do have to spend something. Most of the cheap shoulder bags they call messenger bags are not really designed to carry a load on your back while riding a bike. It should have a thick, padded, easily adjustable strap so you can wear it high and tight on the back, adjust it for the load, and loosen it up to access the contents . I use a shoulder bag for short casual rides with not much in the bag, but for any distance, or any real load it goes in my reload. I'd use a cheap backpack before I'd use a cheap shoulder bag for commuting.

I commute on my bike pretty often. The first thing I did was got some reflective 'stickers' from REI and attached them to the bike and my helmet. I purchased a bright headlight and taillight at the same time. I then added a rear rack and pannier/messenger bag. Lastly, I got some new tires (as the old ones on this particular bike were knobbies.)

Since you seem to be on a tight budget, I'll list the things that I'd say are necessities:
  • Some way to carry your stuff. If you don't have the cash to buy a rack and panniers, a backpack will do. However, I have done that and it's not ideal. It's uncomfortable and your back will get mega sweaty.
  • Front and rear lights, if you have any chance of riding in the dark or inclement weather. Ideally, these would be extremely bright. The nice lights aren't particularly cheap, though. You AT LEAST want to be seen by motorists. Riding in the dark in dimly (or not at all) lit areas without a decent light sucks, though.
  • One or more locks, depending on your area. I see you live in a city, though I don't know about crime in the area. All locks can be defeated without too much trouble, but if I could only have one lock I'd pick a U-Lock over a cable lock.
  • Safety/Emergency gear. Depending on the laws in your area, you may or may not be required to wear a helmet. I'd recommend one anyway. You also want to carry an extra tube, perhaps a patch kit, a set of tire levers and a pump of some sort. If you ride long enough, you will eventually get a flat. Walking your bike for miles is no fun and the tools needed to fix a flat on the side of the road aren't particularly expensive.

Other than that, just get out and enjoy the ride! I'll give you one tip that it took me a while to realize: not every trip on a bike has to be a race. It's often more fun (and far less sweaty) to just take a slow, relaxed pace to wherever you're going.

a good HELMET should be your first investment!, red strobe light for rear and very bright white light for front. if riding in weather, fenders are a must. Unless you want to walk your bike a spare tube, patch kit and air pump are a must. even with lights or riding only during the day wear bright/neon colored shirt/jacket. high on the list should be riding gloves.. better grip on bike and will save your hands when (not if) you go down.

a good HELMET should be your first investment!

Yeah, it's worth mentioning that helmets are worth spending a few bucks on. Studies have shown that most helmets, from the least expensive to most expensive, all protect your head about the same. However, the cheap helmets you can get at places like Wal-Mart are heavier and less durable than their nicer counterparts. Nicer helmets also have better ventilation and suspension systems, allowing your head to stay cool and the helmet to fit snugly. I'd suggest going no lower than about $50 or so, with a trip to your LBS or a store like REI a good place to start.

I have a bike lock and a helmet, those I've had for ages just for safety's sake. I hate the helmet though, it's uncomfortable.

(And I have a school job once school starts at least. So I'm going to try and work stuff into my budget as is able.)

A lot of good counsel above, to which I'd add: Learn some basic repair skills, in addition to carrying essential tools. At the very least, you should know how to change a flat tire properly, and you should carry a spare tube, patches, tire irons of some sort, a mini-pump, and any tools necessary to remove your wheels. As noted by other posters, flats are an inevitable part of cycling, and some time invested in education and practice can make the difference between a routine, ten-minute roadside repair, and a long, frustrating struggle under pressure. I've managed a couple of bike shops, and both of them offered free flat-repair classes, with hand-on practice for attendees. Check out the offerings from local shops or cycling-advocacy organizations.

I've been cycle commuting for...well, longer than the OP has been on this earth. It's a terrific, liberating way to get around. A bit of time invested in learning the ropes is very well spent.

Last edited:
Good helmet, good lock (lock tires with frame) if you can't bring the bike inside, and lights for dim times. I wouldn't buy a new bike, old is good for students anyway, less chance of theft. Just start riding. You'll figure out the rest and enjoy the ride doing so. I've been bike commuting on and off for 35 years.

Don't worry about fancy biking clothes, any athletic top and shorts will do, just stay away from cotton (it takes FOREVER to dry).
Do consider a pair of bike shorts, though. My wife started bike commuting and bought one after the first week - pressure and chafing in sensitive areas, you know....

Top Bottom