What's new

My First Resto

One week after I joined B&B I had a great desire to do a brush restoration. I've spent a lot of time here reading up on this subject and I can't thank you all enough for helping me make this a reality. While this is more of a re-knot than a full restoration, it still provided me a fun challenge. This is my very first vintage brush and also my very first badger. For the past two years I've only ever used a VDH Natural Boar brush

So here I have a NOS Ever-Ready 150 that I re-knotted with a TGN Silvertip Grade A.

NOS
proxy.php

Pre Bloom
proxy.php

proxy.php

Post Bloom
proxy.php

I added to the handle 4 pennies and a synthetic foam cork cut to size to help give weight and a shelf to glue the knot. It has a nice heft to it now. Of the pennies, I used 1 from 1960, 2 from 1980 (my birthyear) and 1 from 2011. Everything was set with white marine epoxy. I set the loft at 48mm.

I used it today and it was luxurious! My only complaint is that it shed about 10 hairs. Other than that I'm thrilled! I love this hobby. Bring on the next one!!

Looks nice! I have a NOS C40 (looks just like yours) that I have been using. It has a nice soft feel to it. It isn't anything like the vdh boar, which is pretty stiff.

The loft looks perfect.

One week after I joined B&B I had a great desire to do a brush restoration. I've spent a lot of time here reading up on this subject and I can't thank you all enough for helping me make this a reality. While this is more of a re-knot than a full restoration, it still provided me a fun challenge. This is my very first vintage brush and also my very first badger. For the past two years I've only ever used a VDH Natural Boar brush

So here I have a NOS Ever-Ready 150 that I re-knotted with a TGN Silvertip Grade A.

NOS
proxy.php

Pre Bloom
proxy.php

proxy.php

Post Bloom
proxy.php

I added to the handle 4 pennies and a synthetic foam cork cut to size to help give weight and a shelf to glue the knot. It has a nice heft to it now. Of the pennies, I used 1 from 1960, 2 from 1980 (my birthyear) and 1 from 2011. Everything was set with white marine epoxy. I set the loft at 48mm.

I used it today and it was luxurious! My only complaint is that it shed about 10 hairs. Other than that I'm thrilled! I love this hobby. Bring on the next one!!

That's a beauty. I've been kicking myself for the past year for passing a brush up just like it, except it was black where yours is red. I really like those contrasting colors. :wink2:

I think it is very possible that after a few uses the shedding will stop.

Top Bottom