What's new

Good Straight Storage?

When I first heard of the AlembiCase that Angry_Panda mentioned above, I took a very quick look at it, and went "Meh". This morning I took a much more closer look at it, and to say I changed my mind is an understatement. This thing looks GREAT! It's like the perfect straight razor storage unit. The different features it has are really cool. One big plus is it's very affordable price! I have to get this thing!

I've got one, and I like it a lot. No, it's not for displaying showpiece razors or anything, but for no-nonsense storage it's exactly the right tool for the job. Well-thought-out piece of equipment.

I tried the faux wood jewelry box for a while, but then I upgraded. My current box is an aluminum one with an insert (I've stashed dessicant packs under the insert). The box is about $25 at jewelrysupply.com, and you can get the insert for a couple of bucks from the same place.

$MarkIbOpen.JPG$MarkIbClosed.JPG

Just to clarify, the OP's box is intrinsically a good solution. I have one and I'm keeping it around for future expansion needs. It is, however, a very inexpensive box and some might find the leatherette covering a little tacky. Although it's not heirloom quality, it's still vastly better than a lot of the other boxes I've seen.

One of the little bonuses you get from the jewelry display boxes: if your collection grows beyond 10 razors or the cheap plastic insert isn't your thing, you can always get some basswood strips and a little velvet and make your own insert. I've measured my box, and with 3/16" dividers I could convert it to store 20 razors, spines up. Or, you can make something to store straights and DEs.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I currently use my pouch of 24 copics. I'm thinking of keeping my straights in a locked box of some sort in a near future, it will need to be big enough for my 24 straights and convenient so it's not a chore to grab the next straight... I'm still looking at a good system...

I currently use my pouch of 24 copics. I'm thinking of keeping my straights in a locked box of some sort in a near future, it will need to be big enough for my 24 straights and convenient so it's not a chore to grab the next straight... I'm still looking at a good system...

You may still be a candidate for one of these boxes... after a bit of DIY action. Here's a quick-and-dirty mockup of where I was headed with my box once I passed 10 razors.
View attachment 184798

This is just a bit of microsuede draped over some chunks of foamcore, but it shows the general idea. Obviously, the razors wouldn't butt up against the sides of the box in the finished product.

With the 3/16" dividers and half-inch slots, I figured I could get 20 razors in this box. The half-inch width is due to the horn-scaled TI, which is not only fatter than any of my others, but also too fat to fit in an official TI box.

If you selected thinner dividers and/or narrower slots, you could bump up the number of razors. There's also the option of including a second row of two razors, placed end-to-end, either above or below the main row of 20-to-whatever.

The interior of these boxes is 14.25 x 7.75, which is apparently some kind of standard in the jewelry biz. You can do your own math. And then come do my math over for me, because I've lost the scrap of paper I did all my calculations and sketches on.

The aluminum box I have is lockable; the black leatherette ones are not. (I should point out I have no affiliation with anyone who sells these boxes. This is just the best solution I've found to date.)

Top Bottom