What's new

Acquisitions for August 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that was me. Frankly, I put a low bid snipe on it which is not usual for me. I hope you find one of those.

You seem to know more about it than I did, I just hadn't seen one before and gave it a shot. Have you got any more info on it? Glad it went to a fellow B&Ber!

First time posting in acquisitions.

I looked up antique stores near where I live (Laval, a suburb of Montreal) and unfortunately didn't find too much really close, though I'm sure Montreal has its fair share.

One place I did find was right down the road, Galerie et Antiquites Sainte-Rose, and while they didn't have much (took a few minutes of rummaging in the back to find the one DE razor they did have) I ended up picking up a razor and a brush.

proxy.php

The text on the brush reads

Melange Blaireau Soie
Badger & Bristles
West Germany

Don't know how it's from West Germany if it's obeying french language laws, but ok. No clue as to the manufacturer, just looked decent so I picked it up
proxy.php

This razor doesn't have any marks or branding on it, so maybe someone else can enlighten me as to its origins
proxy.php

Lastly bundled with the razor were these blades, I'll probably never use them, though they're plenty sharp, but it was interesting to see that they seem to have been made in Montreal, nice to see something homegrown.

I'll probably be heading back there sooner or later for one of a few 15 dollar straights they have, and maybe my first fountain pen.

Modified.

I have been getting around to posting these for a while. Two tone handle. Rubberized grip. Smooth open comb goodness. :wink2:

Attachments

• $100_5516.jpg
    $100_5516.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 542
  • $100_5517.jpg
    $100_5517.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 546
  • $100_5510.jpg
    $100_5510.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 544
  • $100_5509.jpg
    $100_5509.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 543
  • $100_5511.jpg
    $100_5511.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 539
I'm Just amazed at the condition of these razor's Excellent to Mint, all 3 of them just look at the chrome top of the gems they look like Mirrors on them, Also They only came a few miles from me in NY, So to even see these come from NY and it that Condition , WOW.

A nice Old Spice Mug for my Schick injectors.
$IMG_1300.jpg
$IMG_1299.jpg
And a Republican Elephant to go with my Dem Donkey.
$IMG_1298.jpg

You seem to know more about it than I did, I just hadn't seen one before and gave it a shot. Have you got any more info on it? Glad it went to a fellow B&Ber!

Thank you for your nice words. I put the old links of threads about this razor.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/190973-Karl-Engels
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/202095-A-really-nice-German-razor

What an unusual handle. Is it Turkish or French? Great score!

I think it was German (well) made, Jake. Thanks again.

First trip to an antique store today, and I walked out with a Coles slant for just $10. Shaving head in great shape, but the handle's got some weirdness to it - it's in a Scrubbing Bubbles bath right now, and I'll put up pictures once it's done. The cool part is the case it came in - it's silver and has engraved "PLB" on it, with a date of 4-28-73. Clearly a gift, possibly for retirement or a birthday. I've been hoping to use a slant for some time - can't wait for morning to use it!

Also, the timing of this buy was a bit... unsettling... for my pocketbook. Last night I won a red-tip SS on the Bay. That has got to be my last purchase for quite a while! After all, one of the (alleged) perks of wetshaving is the cost savings, right??

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
What turned out to be a 15/16 Bismarck.... other ones similar I've seen have been referred to as "Barber Specials",... this one simply marked 6 Bismarck on one side of tang and made in Germany Solingen on the other. Will have better pictures in the next few days. Lets see how long it actually stays in the shave den... I don't keep them around long...

Attachments

• $002.jpg
    $002.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 604
  • $003.jpg
    $003.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 605
  • $004.jpg
    $004.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 606
I was intrigued my the NOS Globuman straights listed on ebay so I made a pretty low offer on one of the 7/8's and to my surprise, it was accepted so I've got one of these coming in the mail soon.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just picked up a tube of Trumper's coconut oil shaving cream from a local pharmacy, for £7.50. So much cheaper than I can find it online, and that's disregarding shipping :w00t: Score indeed.

Last edited:
O.K. gents! Here is the savage. :drool: I love the double thumb notches! It has some odd honing wear, and almost no bevel, nearly a full wedge. I think it will clean up very nicely! What are your thoughts on the hone wear? Were the razors that were made in this era hand fordged to cause such odd hone wear? It is pretty square, it looks like the person who honed it knew what they were doing... I see from the B&B it was made around 1840s. As far as cleaning the handle, what do I soak them in, and, sand them with? Just want to clean it up, not change it. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• $IMG_0007.JPG
    $IMG_0007.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 509
  • $IMG_0008.JPG
    $IMG_0008.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 508
  • $IMG_0009.JPG
    $IMG_0009.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 506
  • $IMG_0012.jpg
    $IMG_0012.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 504
  • $IMG_0014.jpg
    $IMG_0014.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 506
Just got back from a car boot where I got a Taylor Of Old Bond Street Pure Badger Brush and Sandelwood Cream set completly unused for £1.50
proxy.php

Last edited:
There was a fleamarket in my street yesterday, not much of a fuss. Just went to take a look and I came across this beauty.:001_tt1: Picked it up and saw a pricetag of €20, normally I don't pay more than a single figure. But the guy instantaneously said to be careful, it's razor sharp(pun intended:001_tt2:). It didn't pass the HHT, but it looked like it shaved the back of my hand quite well. I offered him, quite stupidly, 15 and he took it...

I think I could have been greedier or just should have left it, but hey, it's a lesson for me. And after all, it's a 7/8 or 8/8 (still have to measure it) and it looked pretty clean. Now sanding it, I have come across some pretty heavy spine to edge cuts. They don't really seem like honewear, because there are some in the concave part...

After all, it is a nice one for the collection, but SWMBO has convinced me to put the straight RAD to bed for a while.(But I still want a second, decent DE.)

PS: please check my post about my first DE, I really want an identification for it! http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/243837-Need-some-help-identifying-this-one!

Attachments

• $P1040204.jpg
    $P1040204.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 460
  • $P1040203.jpg
    $P1040203.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 458
  • $P1040205.jpg
    $P1040205.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 461
  • $P1040206.jpg
    $P1040206.jpg