Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acquisitions for August 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bestarrkin View Post
    Yes, that was me. Frankly, I put a low bid snipe on it which is not usual for me. I hope you find one of those.
    You seem to know more about it than I did, I just hadn't seen one before and gave it a shot. Have you got any more info on it? Glad it went to a fellow B&Ber!
    Jordan

Images

Default Antique Run

First time posting in acquisitions.

I looked up antique stores near where I live (Laval, a suburb of Montreal) and unfortunately didn't find too much really close, though I'm sure Montreal has its fair share.

One place I did find was right down the road, Galerie et Antiquites Sainte-Rose, and while they didn't have much (took a few minutes of rummaging in the back to find the one DE razor they did have) I ended up picking up a razor and a brush.

The text on the brush reads

Melange Blaireau Soie
    Badger & Bristles
    West Germany

Don't know how it's from West Germany if it's obeying french language laws, but ok. No clue as to the manufacturer, just looked decent so I picked it up

This razor doesn't have any marks or branding on it, so maybe someone else can enlighten me as to its origins

Lastly bundled with the razor were these blades, I'll probably never use them, though they're plenty sharp, but it was interesting to see that they seem to have been made in Montreal, nice to see something homegrown.

I'll probably be heading back there sooner or later for one of a few 15 dollar straights they have, and maybe my first fountain pen.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bestarrkin View Post
    At last I found one with genuine leather pouch. I am happy with this one.
    What an unusual handle. Is it Turkish or French? Great score!

Daily Acquisition. Thrift store, $14. Hand made bowl, Lady Gillette, 2X ball Techs.

"We have evolved so much with technology... But nobody can tell you how to listen to music or how you feel. There's too much emphasis on technology and not enough on humanity. There is a gap which needs to be filled."
    -DJ Krush

Modified.

I have been getting around to posting these for a while. Two tone handle. Rubberized grip. Smooth open comb goodness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_5516.jpg   100_5517.jpg   100_5510.jpg   100_5509.jpg   100_5511.jpg  

Shave yourself.

Images

Here's a group of three Keen Kutters that I got on the fleabay for a decent price.

Regards,
    MaxP

I'm Just amazed at the condition of these razor's Excellent to Mint, all 3 of them just look at the chrome top of the gems they look like Mirrors on them, Also They only came a few miles from me in NY, So to even see these come from NY and it that Condition , WOW.
    Im just having fun :o)

shinny razors
    As long as your going to be thinking anyway, think big.

Images

A nice Old Spice Mug for my Schick injectors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	184690

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	184691
    And a Republican Elephant to go with my Dem Donkey.

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	184692
    Joe

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Quote Originally Posted by hairybeast View Post
    You seem to know more about it than I did, I just hadn't seen one before and gave it a shot. Have you got any more info on it? Glad it went to a fellow B&Ber!
    Thank you for your nice words. I put the old links of threads about this razor.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...73-Karl-Engels
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...e-German-razor

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    What an unusual handle. Is it Turkish or French? Great score!
    I think it was German (well) made, Jake. Thanks again.
    BOTOC - http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/User:Bestarrkin

First trip to an antique store today, and I walked out with a Coles slant for just $10. Shaving head in great shape, but the handle's got some weirdness to it - it's in a Scrubbing Bubbles bath right now, and I'll put up pictures once it's done. The cool part is the case it came in - it's silver and has engraved "PLB" on it, with a date of 4-28-73. Clearly a gift, possibly for retirement or a birthday. I've been hoping to use a slant for some time - can't wait for morning to use it!

Also, the timing of this buy was a bit... unsettling... for my pocketbook. Last night I won a red-tip SS on the Bay. That has got to be my last purchase for quite a while! After all, one of the (alleged) perks of wetshaving is the cost savings, right??
    Last edited by gregoe86; 08-04-2011 at 03:15 PM.

12. Default

What turned out to be a 15/16 Bismarck.... other ones similar I've seen have been referred to as "Barber Specials",... this one simply marked 6 Bismarck on one side of tang and made in Germany Solingen on the other. Will have better pictures in the next few days. Lets see how long it actually stays in the shave den... I don't keep them around long...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg  
    OLD MINIMALIST 鮫

Images

got my fat boy today..

Quote Originally Posted by Rogier D. View Post
    Also, if you're this good at identifying razors, would you please have a look at this post for me? http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...fying-this-one!
    Boston MA, by Gillette in 1939 to 1950....Nacet gillette type razors were made in England and sold through out Europe and Middle East. yours came in a pinkish case.
    Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum - Click here for Hall Of Fame

I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can shave again.

I was intrigued my the NOS Globuman straights listed on ebay so I made a pretty low offer on one of the 7/8's and to my surprise, it was accepted so I've got one of these coming in the mail soon.

"Yes, Madam, I am drunk, and you are ugly. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Just picked up a tube of Trumper's coconut oil shaving cream from a local pharmacy, for £7.50. So much cheaper than I can find it online, and that's disregarding shipping Score indeed.
    Last edited by hairybeast; 08-06-2011 at 07:12 AM.
    Jordan

Default Pics of the savage!

O.K. gents! Here is the savage. I love the double thumb notches! It has some odd honing wear, and almost no bevel, nearly a full wedge. I think it will clean up very nicely! What are your thoughts on the hone wear? Were the razors that were made in this era hand fordged to cause such odd hone wear? It is pretty square, it looks like the person who honed it knew what they were doing... I see from the B&B it was made around 1840s. As far as cleaning the handle, what do I soak them in, and, sand them with? Just want to clean it up, not change it. What are your thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0007.JPG   IMG_0008.JPG   IMG_0009.JPG   IMG_0012.jpg   IMG_0014.jpg  

A few of the blades I picked up
    Last edited by Domminigan; 08-06-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    Saving money? No, I said that was my Shaving money.
    You can never have enough razors... until they overflow your shave den. Then it's time for a bigger den.

Just got back from a car boot where I got a Taylor Of Old Bond Street Pure Badger Brush and Sandelwood Cream set completly unused for £1.50
    Last edited by Zannkimaru; 08-07-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Image Added
    Adam - New Straight Razor User

There was a fleamarket in my street yesterday, not much of a fuss. Just went to take a look and I came across this beauty. Picked it up and saw a pricetag of €20, normally I don't pay more than a single figure. But the guy instantaneously said to be careful, it's razor sharp(pun intended). It didn't pass the HHT, but it looked like it shaved the back of my hand quite well. I offered him, quite stupidly, 15 and he took it...

I think I could have been greedier or just should have left it, but hey, it's a lesson for me. And after all, it's a 7/8 or 8/8 (still have to measure it) and it looked pretty clean. Now sanding it, I have come across some pretty heavy spine to edge cuts. They don't really seem like honewear, because there are some in the concave part...

After all, it is a nice one for the collection, but SWMBO has convinced me to put the straight RAD to bed for a while.(But I still want a second, decent DE.)

PS: please check my post about my first DE, I really want an identification for it! http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...fying-this-one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040204.jpg   P1040203.jpg   P1040205.jpg   P1040206.jpg   P1040207.jpg