What's new

Feather All Stainless Razor Everyday Close Shave

I'd been using a Merkur Futur for a few years and had even tried Feather blades in it (at level 2.5 or 3) and learned to respect these very sharp blades. I think they offer the closest shave. However they could also be quite dangerous if not very careful.

I decided to give the Feather All Stainless a shot and have not looked back more than a year later - this razor paired with the Feather blades is so well engineered that I don't have to be careful ... I could be using the latest 10 blade Sensor - it's that easy, the difference of course is the price. It's much cheaper to use the Feather shaver.

My question has to do with getting a close shave every day. I tend to shave on Mondays and get a really good shave then. If I try to shave the next day, it seems my beard (though strong) isn't long enough to shave comfortably, it's much less comfortable than the Monday shave (lots of burning), Wednesday isn't a lot better, so I often just wait until the following Monday when the hair is long enough to be shaved comfortably, e.g. no scraping of skin.

Is there a solution to this issue? I imagine hot towels might help?

But I shave in a hot shower with Proraso.

Thanks for any hints,

sm

From my experience shaving everyday is less comfortable than shaving every other day, the hairs are shorter making them harder to cut.
But a good prep like a hot shower before shaving usually gets you there without too much discomfort.

I shave almost everyday.

The main point is that you don't need a 3 pass shave

One pass with the grain and one across the grain, plus touch ups, is all you need for bbs.

Going against the grain every single day is going to get to your skin after awhile, even with great technique.

Every face is different off course but with your setup my skin would also get very irritated. First of all the Feather blades are just not smooth enough for my super ultra hyper-sensitive skin no matter what razor it is in. The smoothest blade that I know of are the Personnas. You could give them a try (I think they are called Personna reds in the US? - here they are in a white plastic container with a blue and silver coloured front).

Next thing is shaving in the shower. The hot water pouring over the skin for several minutes makes my skin swell so much that a comfortable shave in the shower is just not possible.

Third and last I think the proraso soap/cream makes a nice looking and very fluffy lather - I just don't think it provides the cushion that is needed for the skin. On top of that it also contains eucalyptus, menthol and camphor all providing a cooling effect right after the shave but a burning effect on my skin when the cooling effect wears off. For me MWF, Tabac and Speick cream are more gentle - and my all time favourite is the Haslinger seaweed soap.

I am also the proud owner of a Feather AS. Despite its reputation for being mild I think it can be quite agressive when I am not carefull with the angle.

With the Personnas, one of the soaps I mentioned, luke warm water and the Feather AS I get close and irritation free shaves every day.

Things might be different for you - or maybe just one of the things could be what would change your result. No matter what I hope you figure out what you need to do to get consistently good and comfortable shaves everyday.

Last edited:
That much hot water would make my skin very irritated, try shaving out of the shower with just luke warm (or cold) water

Agree with responses... I can't shave every day, or too many days in a row. I have to take a day or 2 off per week. I just started using a slant, and it gives me a great shave, but it also gives me a tad more irritation in some places. Then I switch to my EJ for an almost as close shave but much less irritation. If I do have a rough shave one day and get some irritation, particularly on my neck, I have to skip 1 maybe 2 days.

I really appreciate each response. :001_smile

This morning I tried the Merkur Futur since I'd reminded myself about it in this post (and hadn't used it in ages) - and having already has a cup of coffee, I think was able to get a great, comfortable shave, the day after the Feather AS shave.

I started with a new Gillette blade at 2.5 (gap setting) and got something quite close to the Monday all Feather shave.

Maybe rotation is helpful ... maybe it was just the coffee, preparation, or a mix ...

Thanks again,
sm

i use conditioner on my beard every day while showering and that seems to help some...softens them up and whatnot.

If you shave ATG on Monday, then your hairs might not have grown enough by Tuesday to break the top layer of skin. If you try to shave ATG again so soon, you will get irritation because the blade will dig into your skin right at the follicle.

Don't go for BBS everyday... It's not necessary and it can rarely be achieved without discomfort and irritation.

Top Bottom