What's new

Cowboy hat & Boots.....?

As I get older, I'm 40, I find my clothing tastes changing quite a bit in the last couple months. I was a ball cap, sports team jersey, tennis shoe wearing guy all of my life but recently I've been wearing drivers caps and trying to change my look into something that suited the man I have grown to become. Just recently I've really wanted to get a couple of cowboy hats and a pair or two of cowboy boots. I'd be interested in the opinons of you gents on the subject.

Much will depend on what those around you wear. If hats and boots are common attire, you will not look out of place. That said, I spend a few days a month, and often more, on a ranch in Wyoming, looking after investments, doing construction and working cattle. We wear Carharts lace-ups and ball caps for most jobs. On a horse, hats and boots have a practical role. Unless you buy Ropers or boots with walking heels, cowboy boots are not the most practical footwear. Every summer, tourists come in cowboy clothes - boots that hurt their feet and make them walk funny and hats whose practical use they do not understand. That's not a crime, but it looks humorous. A common term is "all hat and no cattle." So, I suggest you consider your surroundings and your real life and make your decision accordingly.

I work on an equestrian preserve so boots are pretty much the standard. I have to agree that what you wear without looking silly largely depends on what you are around. Banker? Ditch the cowboy boots. Rancher? Why not?

I always wanted to be an astronaut, but do not wear an astronaut hat out in public.
I don't own a horse or a ranch. It is not likely that I will be seen under a cowboy hat either.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
It depends on where you live. I used to wear a hat and boots every day, but that was in the bush and it did not look out of place at all.

If you dress like that in the city or the suburbs it looks a bit... Midnight Cowboy, if you've seen that film.

If you have a hankerin to wear a cowboy hat and boots, by all mean, get some and wear 'em. Wear what you want to wear. Don't worry that someone else may think you shouldn't. Screw 'em. Of course, it doesn't mean you think you are a cowboy, or want to become a cowboy. It's just something you like the looks of and want to wear.

To me, it's no big deal and you aren't making yourself out to be someone your not as long as you don't try to act like your a cowboy.

Just get what you like and wear it in good health!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You can wear that look ...

a) in Texas, or
b) anywhere you will fit in with the locals, not the tourists.

I've worn lace-up Justins around the world for going on 15 years. Same pair. Original soles and laces. For everything from herding a small group of cattle (20 or so) on a friend's land, to going to court, to walking the streets of London, Paris and Venice, Vienna and Dublin.

If you like the general style without doing the all-hat-no-cattle look, i would recommend the laceups as a good start.

Standard cowboy boots, if worn with appropriate dress in an area where it doesn't stand out (AZ, TX, etc) are not a big deal. The hat.. no horse? Try and avoid the hat. I had one, got rid of it after years of never wearing it since i mostly didn't ride much anymore.

Nothing wrong with a good pair of boots and some boot-cut wranglers and a shirt though.

I have two pairs of cowboy boots that I wear somewhat often. One is "dressy" with stitch work and the other is plain. I like them and enjoy wearing them so why should I care what others think?

I have a few pairs that I wear on rotation.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I live in a rural area of North Carolina, about forty minutes from the 'big city' of Raleigh...and you see a fair number of cowboy hat and boot-wearing gents around here. But I don't see too many in Raleigh.

Wear what you want! I have 3 black felt hats and a straw hat but I rarely wear them anymore, one I have had since high school! I also have a few pair of dress boots and a couple pairs of work boots (wear these often). I will still wear a hat when I'm in the field or a felt and my ostrich boots when going to a wedding, graduation or special occasion.

I think that the others above gave you the best rule of thumb; if it doesn't look out of place where you live, you are good to go. There are obviously areas of the country where a cowboy hat & boots blend in perfectly, in others they stand out like a pink unicorn riding a tricycle.

That said, if you really like the look, why not try it for a while? While a decent hat and boots may not be cheap, it isn't a life-altering decision so I say go for it. If you decide you don't like it, put 'em up in the closet and try something else. :thumbup1:

I live in a rural area of North Carolina, about forty minutes from the 'big city' of Raleigh...and you see a fair number of cowboy hat and boot-wearing gents around here. But I don't see too many in Raleigh.

In California too, it totally depends on where you live.

I wear cowboy boots to work every day , I don't believe I look out of place. I would not wear a cowboy hat where I live , though. Once in a while I will see a guy with a cowboy hat on , but I don't think anything less of him.

I'm Australian, so naturally in many places there is people wearing Akubra hats. When I work on my parents property mowing the acres of grass, gardening or working on the house I wear one too, why? great sun protection! and they last a lifetime.

I would never wear one around home though, would consider a fedora, though even around here I wouldn't fit in with it, the locals are more, the wife-beater and ball cap type.

I agree with MrMurphy. Cowboy boots with jeans wouldn't look too out of place in most of the American south and west. But if you're in the "big city" wearing a cowboy hat just gives me the impression that you're trying a little too hard. Unless of course you are actually a rancher or grew up in a small town somewhere. But its usually pretty easy to tell who has and who hasn't.

I would say if you want to wear cowboy boots, then go for it. They are a fantastic setup as footwear goes and a good cowboy hat will certainly add to your outfit. I would get a decent pair of boots from a reputable dealer to start (they can help size them and show you how to care for them). As for the hat, get one that suits your head and doesn't look retarded. Make sure you go to a good shop for your hat, that way they can shape it how you like it.

I would have to agree with TankCommander. Wear one if you like. Go to a good western store and they will set you up with what fits you and fits your taste. Even if it's the new (gasp) square toe boots. I am partial to Nocona boots and of course, Stetson hats. Look into the quality of the beaver, felt or straw online. As mentioned before, they will last a long time. Good luck.

A good pair of classically designed ropers in a conservative leather and color are never out of place-- even in Yankee territory. I'd take a look at Lucchese 1888s, if you want an incredibly fine pair of boots that will last and last (so long as you take good care of them). They're definitely not working boots, but they look pretty damn good.

Top Bottom