What's new

Arkansas stones?

awesome.. i have seen some on arkansas on ebay... so it seems they are good quality ... thanks guys

I'd be careful getting a stone sight unseen off the bay. There are a lot of "good quality" Arkansas stones out there, but natural stones tend to have inclusions, which might be perfectly fine for a chisel or a pocket knife, but unsuitable for a straight razor. If you really want an Arkansas stone, I'd look for one specifically noted for razors, preferably from a reputable shaving supply vendor.

fair enough... i dont usually buy from e-bay.. just sometimes nice to look so I know what i want

There are a couple of Arkansas stone sellers on ebay that can accommodate your need for an inclusion-free stone.
Generally speaking - the lots of stones that are very cheap - often sold as being 'money makers at gun shows' are going to be less than desireable. Thing is - Arks are slow so a big hone is preferrable. Finding a 10 x 3 x 1 translucent without inclusions is not an easy task these days.

hallsproedge.com they are fine people to do busness with and mr. richard will talk you through the stone selection you are wanting and they have a nice price on them they are the only one that i know that have the 1 inch. thick hones and they are all laped flat , all i had to do was finish mine out to 2,000 grit , and it is like a pice of glass now.

Just a note - if you can get the stone lapped by the mine/seller you'll be waaaaay ahead of the game. Arks are hard and lapping by hand is sloooooooow work, particularly at the initial flattening stage. Dressing the surface goes quicker..

Top Bottom