What's new

Need your help picking my first *real* strop

I've been at this str8 shaving thing a few months now and have been using a Whipped Dog Poorman's strop. I nicked the crap out of it initially, but my stropping technique seems to have improved to the point where I think I'm ready for a *real* hanging strop.

Thing is, there are do many brands, types (english bridle, russian leather, latigo, etc.), sizes (2", 2.5", 3", etc.) and combos (w/ linen, felt, nothing) that I'm not sure what to get (mainly because I don't know what the pros/cons of these differences are).

I was hoping you experienced guys could at least point me in the right direction.

Many brands, yes, and many materials, which all do essentially the same thing. A few of my own observations, fueled by my own bout of SAD:

2.5" seems to be best for me. 3" doesn't require an X stroke, but has more of a tendency to cup. I find 2" a bit narrow myself.

Latigo is thick and waxy. Of all the materials I've used, it has the most draw (by a wide margin). Horsehide is much faster, zippier if you will. English bridle is somewhere in between.

As second components go, I prefer herringbone cotton, although I haven't tried actual linen yet. The felt is pretty much useless IMHO, unless you are using sprays.

It all comes down to preference really. I'm sure 20 different guys are going to give you 20 different recommendations. Latigo works just fine, though, and would probably be a good choice for your first "real" strop.

I am far from being a strop expert but I recently had to make the same choice around my first "real" strop. Will try and give a summary of how I made the decision and hopefully this will help some....

For me it boiled down to choosing a strop from one of the following makers Tony Miller, Ambrose and Legion (other contenders that I excluded mostly for personal aesthetic reasons were Neil Miller, strop shop uk, and those made by the invisible edge with the unique wooden handles). As pointed out above Tony currently has some strops available, Ambrose's website is currently down but you can email him for his current strops (he has new models with different leathers regularly), Legion is famed for his roo based strops and unique handle and you need to contact via PM.

After much research I realised that like the rest of our hobby/addiction this wasn't so much a question of performance as of personal preference and style. I also had zero experience with anything other than Larry's poorman's strop so compartive draw meant little.

Width:
I chose 2.5" as 3" just looks wrong and is aesthetically out of proportion. Would have been happy with 2" but 2.5" means a milder x stroke and is a bit of luxury.

Leather:
Had to be horsehide for reasons of tradition. But which horsehide ? I knew I liked a slight velvety type surface from sanding my poorman's. Also Tony advised his Notovan is probably not the best choice for an only strop. Nobody had real Cordovan at the time so plain horse hide it was.

Secondary:
Had to be linen. Most seem to agree that without addition of pastes/sprays linen has and advantage over felt or cotton. Also seems more traditional and I knew I would always want to try it if I didn't have it.

Handle style:
Didn't want D rings as though practical they didn't fit the traditional aesthetic I was after. Really liked the contrasting colours that Tony does between his caps/handles and strop so that sealed it.....

I ordered a 2.5" Tony Miller artisan horsehide.

Also there was the minor detail that everyone seems to have to own a TM at some point and he is regularly over-subscribed.

I am eagerly awaiting the strop so can't provide any feedback yet but I did cave and by one of Legion's beginner's strop as a "travel" strop. I almost mis-clicked on his new horse one though.

hope that helps and doesn't make the decision more difficult

regards
Robin

Robin,

I think your aesthetic and mine go pretty much hand-in-hand. I have a Tony Miller and a Legion Buffaroo (and the little travel roo, too), with Ambrose's new "Caballo Mas Fino" on the way. Since you were looking, FWIW, Jarrod does have some actual cordovan strops for sale, although they are priced well into the stratosphere.

I think you made a good choice with the TM horse. I'm trying to be good, but it's calling my name as well.:blush:

I did see the cordovan strops Jarrod is stocking but the finish wasn't quite to my liking and there wasn't the option of a linen secondary - hoping I get ridiculously lucky and find a decent vintage strop in shell. But now that I have a TM with linen on the way ..... the AD's are tickling.

As it is Ambrose's "Caballo Mas Fino" or Tony's Notovan are proving very tempting. I love the embossing Ambrose does on his strops and now that my stropping has improved and I don't put 5 tonnes of tension on the strop the barber's end is quite comfy.

I have convinced myself to hold off until I get a better idea of what kind of secondary component, if at all, I prefer.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I just read he has one made from steerhide coming down the pike...

Thanks all, especially Price and Robin, for your insights. I now have some (good) food for thought and have answered a couple important points - linen and 2.5" for sure. The idea of a Roo-based strop really appeals to me. I'll have to PM Legion to find out more!

Oh yeah, one more thing. I was stropping last night after touching up an edge on some CrOx and I ever-so slightly nicked my Poor Man's strop! Wha? I hadn't nicked it in weeks and then the moment I get it in my mind to buy a new strop, I go and nick the ol' thing. Maybe I should hold off for another few weeks yet...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have read only good things about Legion's strops...the Buffaroo looks really nice, with two exotic leathers in one!

Yeah I just got it, but I like it a lot so far. Really like the feel of the kangaroo, and the buffalo is a nice thick chunk of leather - kind of gives some backbone to the roo, which is quite thin. Very different feel than the latigo I'm used to.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I was stropping last night after touching up an edge on some CrOx and I ever-so slightly nicked my Poor Man's strop! Wha? I hadn't nicked it in weeks and then the moment I get it in my mind to buy a new strop, I go and nick the ol' thing. Maybe I should hold off for another few weeks yet...

FWIW, I went a long while without nicking mine, bought a new one, and promptly nicked the new one. I am calling it my new "customized" strop now! It's like the first door ding in a new car...might as well get it out of the way...at least that's what I am telling myself!

Aside from the Poor Man's Strop (Larry's on vacation), I don't hear of many other strops being recommended for beginner use. Is it still the considered the Holy Grail of beginner strops?

With the Illinois strops being close in cost, and Tony Miller and Ambrose making decent entry level strops, I'm wondering what the experts think. 2.5" is what I'm thinking.

Aside from the Poor Man's Strop (Larry's on vacation), I don't hear of many other strops being recommended for beginner use. Is it still the considered the Holy Grail of beginner strops?

With the Illinois strops being close in cost, and Tony Miller and Ambrose making decent entry level strops, I'm wondering what the experts think. 2.5" is what I'm thinking.

I think a Illinois #827 can be found for around $35, and that's a great strop, regardless of price.
I have one, and several "high-end" strops, and the Illinois holds it's own.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For the most part a strop is just a strip of leather. Think of it like a watch. A Casio tells time just as well as a platinum Rolex...it boils down to how nice a strop you want...and what you can afford. I am a TM fanboy with one each of his different leathers.

Blix, thanks for the input. I've actually been quite curious about the Illinois strops for a while.

For the most part a strop is just a strip of leather. Think of it like a watch. A Casio tells time just as well as a platinum Rolex...it boils down to how nice a strop you want...and what you can afford. I am a TM fanboy with one each of his different leathers.

SAD can happen to everyone...

Blix (6 strops and counting) :001_smile

Sorry, a little off topic: where can I find Ambrose strops?

Thanks guys.

Jose (user name Ambrose) has stopped making strops for the time being...the only place you'll find one now is on the BST, I'm afraid...I've owned a few, they are nice. My last is on its way here now.

Top Bottom