What's new

Concerned about Groom and Clean Ingredients

I picked up a bottle of vitalis at walgreens when it was on sale, and nabbed a tube of groom and clean as well, sicne it was so cheap. I tried the vitalis first, and wish that I'd had some one suggest classic hair products years ago, because it works great. Anyhow, I looekd at the ingredients of vitalis to figure out what v7 is ( I assume that it's the ppg-40, which is an altered form of antifreeze that's food safe,) That made me curious about what was in the groom and clean (which i tried and liked, as well). Groom and clena had mineral oil, which was okay with me, btu ti also had several PEG compounds like peg 12, which are what worry me. PEG is the BAD kind of antifreeze, the toxic stuff in car radiators, so I'm a little wary of handling compounds made from it or putting them in my hair.

Am I being overly cautious, or is it a concern?

PEG is the BAD kind of antifreeze, the toxic stuff in car radiators, so I'm a little wary of handling compounds made from it or putting them in my hair.
No, it isn't. That's ethylene glycol, which isn't in cosmetics.

Last edited:
Its fine. I wouldnt eat a tube of it but its ok on scalp/hair. It works fine but I am a Brylcreem guy.

If you don't react to it it should be ok.
I am a big fan of the organic/natural stuff just recently.
I'll always suggest that route now.

If you read the label on the product and use as directed, PEG is safe. It's used in thousands of products including medicine.

As mentioned above, PEG is NOT ethylene glycol nor is it propylene glycol (the latter two being ingredients used as anti freeze).

If you read the label on the product and use as directed, PEG is safe. It's used in thousands of products including medicine.

As mentioned above, PEG is NOT ethylene glycol nor is it propylene glycol (the latter two being ingredients used as anti freeze).

Exactly. It's not ethylene glycol or propylene glycol because it's polyethylene glycol.

Groom and Clean does not contain ethylene glycol, which is the "bad" antifreeze.

Last edited:
My grandpa has used Groom n Clean for as long as I have memory, and probably before that. He called it, "Bear Grease". LOL.

He always had well groomed hair, a full head of hair, and now in his mid-late 70's barely any gray, I'd say that stuff is pretty alright.

Top Bottom