What's new

One Year Later

Hi All. As of today, I have been DE wetshaving for exactly one year. A year ago, I started this thread.

Transitioning from the electric shaver to the safety razor, badger brush, and British creams has been one of the best things I've done in the past decade. My face is smoother and skin is happier now than anytime since I hit puberty.

Before I share with you a random assortment of observations I've made over the past year, let me thank all of you for being so kind and helpful. Of all the forums I frequent, you fellow B&B'ers are the nicest online folk I've met. Many other forum folk out there could learn from you!

Okay, now on to my completely random observations from my first year of DE wetshaving (I realize that these aren't so much fact as they are things I have learned that may be peculiar to me):
  • I use shaving cream at a rate of three tubs of TOBS and a tube of Proraso a year.
  • Derby was a great learning blade, but an awfully dull blade overall once I learned what I was doing.
  • Feathers are the most awesomest blade ever (opinion), but will bite ya something fierce if you let your guard down (fact).
  • A blade usually lasts me no more than four to five days.
  • Of all the prep steps that have been invented, a nice shower is the most effective.
  • Pure witchhazel applied (and rinsed) between shaving and aftershave quite effectively prevents ingrown hairs.
  • A three-pass WTG→XTG→XTG shave is all I need to have a perfectly wonderful CCS. Going against the grain to get a BBS just isn't worth it—most of the time.

Well, I guess that's it. Keep on shaving!

Thanks for the update! One question: what are your thoughts on the performance characteristics of Proraso vs TOBS? Which one (if there is one) give you a better and/or more consistently pleasant shave.

Thanks!

Congrats!
How much better would you say your technique & results are now that you're 12 months in? I'd love to hear your comments on the TOBS products too.

Cheers,
Jarrah

Thanks for the update! One question: what are your thoughts on the performance characteristics of Proraso vs TOBS? Which one (if there is one) give you a better and/or more consistently pleasant shave.

Thanks!

TOBS gives me better lather but I tend to use more of it than I do the Prorasso. But both are kick butt and worth trying (they can both be had for under 15 for a tub or tube :) ).

Congrats jefe!

Thanks!

Overall, TOBS is the better choice. It makes a much more luxurious lather and is more forgiving if you use a bit too much or too little water. However, TOBS is more expensive than Proraso—you get what you pay for.

However, Proraso does have a couple things going for it. First: though it doesn't perform quite as well as the various TOBS creams I've used, it is quite a bit cheaper. I'd say the difference between the price of Proraso vs. TOBS is greater than the difference in how well the two perform. Secondly: the wonderfully cooling effect of the eucalyptus oil on your skin on a warm evening is second to none (as far as I know). There is just some about the cool tingle on my cheeks in a warm, humid bathroom that TOBS hasn't been able to match. As a result, I tend to put the Proraso away come winter.

I should also note: I'm using C.O. Bigelow cream, not a true Proraso tube. My understanding, however, is that, beneath the branding, it's the same stuff you'd find in a Proraso tube.

How much better would you say your technique & results are now that you're 12 months in?

My technique improved dramatically over the first 12 months. I climbed the learning curve in fits and starts as I tried different blades. Just as I become comfortable with one blade in my sampler pack, I'd run out and switch over to another brand.

But, once I ran through the entire sampler pack and decided on Feather as my go-to blade brand, I was really able to hone my technique. I'd say, that by the six month mark, I'd gotten to the point where I no longer had to think so intensely about what I was doing: my muscles just knew what to do.

I'd love to hear your comments on the TOBS products too.

I have tried the Avocado, Mr. Taylors, and Almond scents. I've enjoyed them all immensely—though Mr. Taylors was the most perfumy, and my least favorite, of the three. They make such a luxurious, thick, cushiony, lubricative lather that easily supports a three-pass shave, even with fairly minimal brush loading.

The cost of TOBS over other high-end British creams is quite excellent, too. Sometimes, I feel like I'm somehow cheating the system, getting such a good product for so low a price.

Last edited:
Happy shaving anniversary! I am glad that you seem to have found you groove. I love the TOBS creams. I have not found one that I don"t enjoy. My favorite cream is Castle Forbes lavender. If you only compare front end dollars it is expensive. However, when you consider that it is 200 ml (6.8 oz.) and how long it lasts I think it is a good value. It is the best performing cream that I have used.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom