What's new

Alice In Chains revisited

so I decided to start listening to the AIC back catalog (with Layne Staley on vocals) and it got me thinking how tragic his death was. I know rock star deaths are a bit cliché these days but for some reason Layne's death had a profound effect on me and it makes me sad that no one helped him when he needed it most. Rock music lost a truly talented singer.

Anyway, I gave the latest AIC album "Black Gives Way To Blue" a try thinking that William Duvall was some poser who could never fill Layne's shoes. Boy was I wrong. I have to admit, I think Duvall does a great job as AIC's new vocalist and when he harmonizes his vocals with Jerry Cantrell's, it works, the same way it worked with Layne. Of course, Cantrell writes some of the dirtiest guitar riffs in rock, so it's no surprise the latest AIC album is just as good as the others.

Anyone else a big AIC fan? Any opinions on William Duvall and his singing? I like that Duvall also plays guitar, so it lends a little more grit.

I like AIC, unfortunatly they lumped them in with the Grunge movement even though I wouldn't consider them Grunge. Jerry Cantrell is a fantastic guitar player and very underrated. I haven't heard any of the AIC stuff since Staley died, but maybe I'll give them a listen.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I was a big fan, "back in the day", particularly the Dirt album. I remember going on a five hour road trip, and the only cassette we had in the car was Dirt. Kind of got scarred onto my brain after that.

Haven't listened to any current stuff, though.

I like AIC, unfortunatly they lumped them in with the Grunge movement even though I wouldn't consider them Grunge. Jerry Cantrell is a fantastic guitar player and very underrated. I haven't heard any of the AIC stuff since Staley died, but maybe I'll give them a listen.

I don't really consider them grunge either....far from it. Jerry Cantrell is definitely a talented guitar player and without him AIC wouldn't be who they are

Top Bottom