What's new

How to clean up an old razor

My grandfather mailed me his Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed. The razor is in great working order, but it looks like there is old dried up lather on it pretty good. And the handle could use cleaning up too. How would I go about restoring it? Do I need to send it off to be done by a professional or is this something I can do at home? Thanks.

John

Check the wiki, there's a nice little write-up on how to clean a razor, and if you do a search on "cleaning razor" you'll get lots of discussion.
Basically, hot water and soap will take care of most of the gunk, a little bit of mild cleanser like Scrubbing Bubbles won't hurt if you need to break up soap scum, and a very mild polish will get it all shining again afterwards.

I like the soapy water, and a toothbrush. Maybe a mild polish. I tried soaking a 40's style ss in simple green last night and it took off the gunk. It also took the TTO knob back to brass, but no other part of the plating was harmed.

Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner is always good for cleaning old razors. Spray some of that on, forming a foam blanket all over the razor, and let it soak for a while. When the bubbles disappear, take an old toothbrush and give it a gentle, or not so gentle, scrub under the running water.

Top Bottom