What's new

Feather DE blade vs Kai DE blade

Which blade do you prefer Feather or Kai?

• Feather DE blade performs better than Kai

• Kai DE blade performs better than Feather

• I haven't tried one of the blades but I want to vote for something

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've tried both. I got the Kai thrown in on a PIF I won a while back. The Feathers really tear my face up. Lots of irritation. The Kais are much smoother. They are very sharp, but I think the Feathers are sharper.

One of these days, I'll get it right with Feather.

Have tried both in my Merkur Slant and prefer Kai. In fact ,I would pull the trigger on a bulk purchase but want to try Lab or Med Prep first. Kai is my leader in the clubhouse with the Polsilver Super Irridium second. Feather I find inconsistant and shorter lived. Used the Kai this A.M. with Coates lavender cream, excellent. Yesterday with MWF, absolutely divine. I can get 4-5 good shaves with the Kai so I don't see price as a factor.

I am not an expert, since I would be considered a newbie. I have used both blades. (and many other as well) I like Feathers and consider them to be the sharper of the two, but I have to agree with those who think the Kai is smoother. It is right close to the Feathers in sharpness. They give Feathers 5 blades in for sharpness and they give Kai 4 blades. One last thing. Check smallflower.com for Kai. The price is $20 for 50 (plus 3.50 shipping) The 100 pack is $37.50 as of this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
23rd vote for Kai blades here. They are sharp a $#!t and smooth too. The feathers were as sharp but not as smooth on my face or head. It's too easy for me to bleed with Feathers.

The Kais are like a kind but stern Geisha feeding me sushi and leading my beardless face to the land of milk and honey. The Feathers tend to be a little bit more like Pai Mei (see Kill Bill).

Another one for Kai here, I like it's simplicity in packaging, no glue just plain white paper and the blades have no printing on it, they describe it as surgical steel blades and seems to be high quality and “clean", it's not as sharp as feathers but it's close and much smoother and longer lasting but for the price you can get better blades for less, I prefer Polsilver Super Iridium and Med Preps.

Kai are definitely smoother than Feather and I get more mileage.

That said, King of smooth for me is the Gillette Silver Blue. Nothing comes close in that department on my face.

I've never bought Kai because of the price differential. I'm sure sometime I'll be ordering blades and will get some thrown in--but not this year since I'm on the 2016 restraint.

I've only used Feather blades but I'm seriously thinking about buying some Kai blades since keep hearing good things about them.

Feather by a longshot for me. Kai's don't feel sharp to me and tug quite a bit. Voskhods shave the same and are much cheaper. Feathers are very sharp and demand a very light touch. But they shave closer than any other blade.

23rd vote for Kai blades here. They are sharp a $#!t and smooth too. The feathers were as sharp but not as smooth on my face or head. It's too easy for me to bleed with Feathers.

The Kais are like a kind but stern Geisha feeding me sushi and leading my beardless face to the land of milk and honey. The Feathers tend to be a little bit more like Pai Mei (see Kill Bill).

According to my dad's old Sheffield Micrometer the Kai's are a little tiny bit thicker than the Feathers. This difference in girth translates into a change in feel with my Futur. As a result I have to keep the Setting dialed back to the very lowest when using the Feathers to avoid chatter. No such issue with the Kai. Must be a resonant frequency thing with slickness, force required to overcome stubble and blade resonant frequency all in there as variables. Seems like I can raise the feather's resonant peak by cinching it down at <1 on the adjustment dial of the Futur.

Both are tied as my favorites. Kai is thicker and hence more rigid, perhaps a little smoother, but both are exceptionally sharp and good for 5 or 6 shaves. I chuckle at the guys complaining about the price of the Kais, considering what many of them spend on other shaving accoutrements.

Ive used about 40 Feathers and about 20 Kai. I get about 6 shaves from Kai and 5 from Feather. Feather start out slightly sharper but detoriorate faster. Kail feel a little smoother probably as theyre slightly thicker. I use 2 razors... Feather Popular and 40s Tech trianglar top. The Kai blades dont fit in the Popular, diameter of center hole of blade is too tight and i wont force it. Kai cost about 1/3 or 1/2 more i think. All in all my favorite is my third blade, GSB as its smoother than Feather and cheaper than Kai, and works in both my razors. I dont prefer using my Tech razor due to the short handle. Im not experimenting with razors as im ingrown hair prone and these mild razors work ok. If i got a Feather ASD2 and if the Kai fit ( i dont know) them maybe Id be more inclined to use Kai. Theres no doubt in my mind Kai is the best blade of the 3. Btw ive never tried Med Prep or Astra or Poli so cant compare. All of the 3 blades i have are good. If the Kai fits in other tto i might like that but it has to be a mild tto. But again Kai costs more so why bother with Kai. Its slightly better but costs more. If price dropped to $25 per hundred I'd snap up 1000.

Top Bottom