What's new

The Weight Loss PIF

I've started a new "program" to lose my much too excess weight. My doctors have told me that I'm eligible for surgery if I wish, but I refuse to go that route until all else fails. I'm also very wary of "diets" that only allow you to eat certain foods or make you buy foods from them or charge you outrageous fees for supplements.

My wife suggested I try using livestrong.com and I'm loving it so far. I'm far from depriving myself, and with my trust Blackberry tracking everything is easy. I've lost 4lbs this week since I've started.

One of the things that I read over and over is to set short and long term goals along with rewards when you reach those goals.

My first medium range goal is to lose 50lbs. In order to help motivate myself, I'm starting a weight loss PIF. When I hit my 50lbs goal, I will be offering 3 PIFS!

Not being a man of great means, I can't PIF much, but I will PIF a brand new can of Murray's Pomade to each of the winners along with a little something else as a surprise. Perhaps a local delicacy of some type.

I will pick a winner from Canada, the US and elsewhere in the World!

I hope this helps drive me forward and provide a nice surprise for 3 people.

Thanks, eh?

Good luck in your weight loss quest. Livestrong has a lot of great information. I'm in the middle of a weight loss program myself. I started at 225 just before Memorial Day and am currently at about 207. I'm using the Weight Watchers program, and it's excellent. There's a small monthly fee to keep an account on their site, but they have a great program for men, and the site is excellent for helping you track your progress.

WW also allows you to eat the foods you like. They sell a line of frozen foods and desserts in most grocery stores, but you can eat other brands (Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine) and have all the point information you need.

I like the program because rather then lecture you on what to do or not do, they help you pay more attention to what you're eating and when. There are allowances for "going off" the plan on occasion, without the guilt.

Well, whatever you choose to do, if it works, it's right for you. I'm trying to get to 160-170 by my only daughter's wedding next June.

Good luck and I hope you'll be awarding those PIFs eventually.

I'm glad you found a program that works for you.
I've tried a few and am currently paying weight watchers for their services (notice I didn't say I'm using it, just paying for it... *sigh*)
This thread called "I got fat" has helped with my motivation (though i've fallen off recently)

Good luck!

I'm glad you found a program that works for you.
I've tried a few and am currently paying weight watchers for their services (notice I didn't say I'm using it, just paying for it... *sigh*)

If you've got a smart phone check out Livestrong.com

One of the reasons Weight Watchers and I never got along was the lack of a smartphone app and a dearth of information on Canadian foods. LS has over 500 000 entries, including the entire Tim Horton's menu.

Aside from the $3 for the app, you can use the program for free.

Three years ago with deit and exercise I went from 196lbs down to 170lbs, which is were I feel good. When I quit smoking cigs in Dec 2010 I have slowly put on weight to a hi of 219lbs!! I promised my self I would lose some weight since I will be 39 this year and its not healthy, so starting in june I have gone from 219lbs down to 202lb and am still having at it!! Good Luck on the weight loss, and great idea using a PIF as a motivator!!

Jay

I've since put it back on due to an injury, but lost 25 lbs by just being sensible and 30-45 of daily exercise. One of the things I found out was making sure that you are having enough calories, second was making sure they were the right mix, and the third was you had to mix it up occasionally. I hit a plateau after 12 lbs that I thought I'd never bust, then a friend had me change my exercise routine for a week. Good luck with your weight loss.

shouldn't the PIF work the other way? every 10lbs one of us sends you a new shave den toy?

btw--i still don't understand the PIF name.

v.

PIF - Pay it Forward

i should have bean more explicit. i know it's those words, but they don't entirely make sense to me. the idea is to give something away for free, right? wouldn't "pass it forward" seem more logical? it's the "pay" part than i don't get.

v.

i should have bean more explicit. i know it's those words, but they don't entirely make sense to me. the idea is to give something away for free, right? wouldn't "pass it forward" seem more logical? it's the "pay" part than i don't get.

v.

You've obviously never suffered through the agony of watching Haley Joel Osment drag two Oscar winners down into his pit of terrible acting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_It_Forward

The key is that one when someone does something selfless for you, you now owe the universe a favor. To pay off that debt you need to do something selfless for someone else, and the cycle continues. Hence, Pay It Forward.

I have been on weight loss program for over a year now. I know it is a struggle. I do mine through an R.D. and my Dr. I go to water aerobics three times a week and it has helped a lot.
I enourage on your weight loss goals.

Weight watchers is great. I've lost 30lbs so far myself. Good luck with your Livestrong program! Take it one day at a time and tyr not to let yourself get discouraged if you're not losing weight as fast as you had hoped. Mine has been a little up and down (lost 3 gain 1 etc) but, the overall it's been a steady loss.

Don't care about the PIF, I mean cool PIF and congrats to the winners. I just wanted to say good luck on the weight loss. Keep your goals in mind but still eat healthy and get your daily servings of stuff you need. Don't skip meals, workout but don't over do it and you'll be at your 50LBS goal in no time :) .

I am on the get a job in a busy kitchen diet...Seems to be working quite well lol. Anyways, when the day is done, be happy feeling great, cause I know as soon as I took off 50LBS I felt so much better just in general :) .

When my wife was pregnant for our last child she had gestational diabetes so they put her on sort of a diabetic diet...low carbs, etc. I went on the diet with her and dropped 30 lbs. I was on the way to six pack alley. I did pushups every day (probably the best all around exercise you can do), and lifted weights infrequently (I worked out for years). Gestational diabetes goes away after delivery, so our motivation flagged a bit. We didn't need to be as obssessive with the diet, and much of that weight has returned. My motivation now is to be healthy for my almost three year old. I want to be around for her, so we've been getting back to good eating. To give you an idea of how dedicated we were, during the last trimester my wife lost an average of two pounds between every doctor's appointment and ended up fifteen pounds lighter right before delivery than she was before the pregnancy. We're trying to get that spark back.

Keep it up. I'm with you.

You've obviously never suffered through the agony of watching Haley Joel Osment drag two Oscar winners down into his pit of terrible acting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_It_Forward

indeed, i seem to have been very fortunate: the film came out in the immediate aftermath of your country bombing mine, so hollywood stuff was totally out of the question at the time--my enlightened philosophy does have its limits ;-)

cheers,
v.

Like others have said for it to work long term it should be more of a change in the way you live rather than a diet. I have tried a TON (yeah I know) of diets and the only time anything works is when I make changes and good choices a daily thing. I just quit smoking and am getting back in the gym before work. You may want to look at fatbet.net Its something that my brother and I have been doing off and on for a while.

Thank you all for the advice, suggestions and support!

I look forward to getting this PIF in the mail as soon as possible (and healthy)

Good luck to you, kid line, and I like your reward system of doing something nice for someone else instead of for yourself.

As Sledgehammer said, it's a new, healthy lifestyle, making a habit of healthy choices and leaving the old ways behind.
It doesn't get any better than that.

Top Bottom