What's new

How I learned to stop worrying and love the Straight. (Fourth documented shave)

This is my fourth documented straight shave.

The problems i've been having were so far mostly lather-related, and they remain. Last time it started flaking on me after maybe five minutes, this time it was better. Though it still got a bit flakey. I think i'm using too much cream and too little water, I really just put the tips to the cream and swirl around for a second.

On the bright side, I am getting better with each shave. I feel more confident in using my left hand on the left side of my face and the results are just awesome. I can't tell for sure, but I think what i'm experiencing right now is BBS. I can hardly feel a hair when stroking my face ATG.

I nicked myself slightly when I was pretty much just finished, but it didn't even bleed. I think i've nicked myself a total of maybe four or five times in ten shaves.

My stropping is also getting way better. My razors pass the HHT almost every time, though usually my hair is wet so it might not count. But as I am experiencing better and better shaves every time I can only conclude my stropping can't be all that bad.

And again gents, do make sure to enjoy your shaves, pampering yourself and getting some lone-time to focus on yourselves. This is one of the reasons why I am so far enjoying this new hobby so much! :001_smile

P.S: Sorry if this post got a bit messy.

Last edited:
With time and practice it will all come together. Keep at it. You have the right attitude. And for lather make sure you read the wiki, if you haven't done so.

I appreciate all of your enouragement. It's really great to know that some people have an interest in the advancement of a certain skill. And as for straight shaving, this is THE ONE place to be.

Top Bottom