What's new

Aftershave lotion vs. aftershave balm

I'm wondering what the differences are between an aftershave lotion and an aftershave balm. For example, one company, Weleda, markets both. Are they interchangeable or complementary? And if complementary, am I right to think that the aftershave lotion precedes the balm?

I'm wondering what the differences are between an aftershave lotion and an aftershave balm. For example, one company, Weleda, markets both. Are they interchangeable or complementary? And if complementary, am I right to think that the aftershave lotion precedes the balm?

In the aftershave world a lotion is actually the liquid version and a balm is what you would normally call a lotion. They can be complementary but on a regular basis I would never use the lotion and the balm at the same time as this would leave my skin too greasy. I mostly use aftershave lotions and only reach for an aftershave balm if I have a rough shave. They can also be interchangeable if you like the scent, get them both.

AS is good for everyday use, and balm can also be used the same way.

I like a balm on days when my face "just feels" like it needs to be soothed by a balm. Balm is really good for adding moisture to you face.

You have splashes - which are liquid - at one end of the spectrum, and balms - which are creams - at the other end, and a whole raft of products (lotions, milks etc) which fall at different points in the middle.

What if toner and moisturizer is used? Can we skip the splash and lotion/balm combo

You can do anything you want. You should do whatever works best for you, or whatever you enjoy most.

I think toner is basically an astringent, right? So that would have the same function as an aftershave splash. And the moisturizer has the same function as the aftershave lotion/balm.

I use toner/astringent and then a small bit of aftershave balm. I don't think I have anything in my cabinets that's labeled an aftershave lotion. I have a few that are labeled as "gels" and they do actually have the same consistency of hair gel.

Perhaps "lotion" was not the right word--maybe "aftershave splash" or just "aftershave" would be the better term in comparison with "aftershave (or post-shave) balm."

You can do anything you want. You should do whatever works best for you, or whatever you enjoy most.

I think toner is basically an astringent, right? So that would have the same function as an aftershave splash. And the moisturizer has the same function as the aftershave lotion/balm.

+1

Whats the shelf life of the balms on average?
I ask this, as i have a couple of them that I've had for years, but just started using. They don't seem very good & they seem a bit thin & the scent isn't very strong. I have not used them before so have nothing to compare them too...

Whats the shelf life of the balms on average?
I ask this, as i have a couple of them that I've had for years, but just started using. They don't seem very good & they seem a bit thin & the scent isn't very strong. I have not used them before so have nothing to compare them too...

The bottle of Weleda balm that I have gives an expiration date of 12/2012. I bought it around 2-3 weeks ago and it probably wasn't sitting on the shelf for more than 1-2 months. But since the expiration date may be a bit in advance, let's just call it around two years to round things off.

I would say based on my experience thus far, lotions and balms are pretty close. The balm might be a little thicker, but for the most part I see them as the same thing. The thinner version of lotion is the "Milk" products in my opinion.

Well, for example the Proraso aftershave calls itself a "lotion" and is a (green) liquid, whereas their balm is thick like skin lotion. Anyway, I personally always use both. I use a thin splash right after (Lucky Tiger), let is dry for 30 seconds or so, and then use a balm (D.R. Harris Milk). I have fairly dry skin so using both really helps me a lot, I gather people with normal and/or greasy skin probably do not want balms at all as the D.R. Harris for example is thick and very moisturizing.

Top Bottom