What's new

Featured Aftershave - Aqua Velva

Yes, it started out as a mouth wash in 1929. Yes, rumor has it sailors drank it for alcohol in WW2. And yes, sadly, it now comes in plastic bottles. Aqua Velva needs no introduction, it’s a classic. Launched as an aftershave in 1935 by Williams, AV has had a few owners over the years and is now marketed by Combe Inc., who, on Feburary 1st 2010 switched to plastic bottles. A sad day for all. Used liberally by Pete Rose, Dick Butkus the Lone Ranger, Tonto and maybe even Silver, who knows? If it’s available in your area this is definitely an aftershave you should have in your stable.

proxy.php

Although not a seasonal scent I find the menthol in AV makes is more appealing during the hotter months. Since it is alcohol based you may get some sting if you’ve been a little rough but the menthol quickly overwhelms the burn and the glycerin keeps your skin soft.

The scent is clean, fresh and masculine. On me if fades in about an hour so. There is little danger of offending anyone and personally I’ve never had a complaint.

Basenotes lists the scent as follows:
Top Notes: Bergamot, Lavender, Peppermint, Petitgrain, Lemon
Middle Notes: Clary Sage, Jasmin, Vetiver, Sandal, Cedarwood
Base Notes: Labdanum, Musk, Amber, Moss, Leather

As with all aftershaves the scent is very subjective. Overall I find the scent, menthol and skin condition to be very good. One of my favorite summer splashes. Considering the cost this is a great buy. If you haven’t tried it I recommend doing so immediately. I you have it wear it.

Don't forget to checkout the reviews section for more opinions.

Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40-B, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Menthol, Benzophenone 1, Ext. Violet 2, Blue 1

it has all the subtlety of a marching band.

Well said! :lol: Aqua Velva is just an all around amazing aftershave and dirt cheap to boot. I used to really loved the scent, but it is just too over the top (for me) for everyday use. If you haven't tried it, you should.

I love the big freeze AV affords !
I prefer Spanish Floid...I just about bathe in that stuff, but I always have some AV on hand..even a vintage NIB glass bottle full.

Not much of an aftershave user here, so I only have a couple. Being retired and shaving in late afternoon or night, I don't see much point in wearing it. One of those I do use if I have a morning shave is AV. My wife likes the scent. It's the only aftershave I get a comment on.

AV was 'dad's' aftershave, and I didn't care for it (or any alcohol splash) before I came to B&B. But I would never be without it, and find it can stand toe to toe with the much-venerated Floid Blue. I love the stuff.

When I have a morning migraine I love using Proraso preshave cream, Proraso shave cream followed by AV! It helps ease the pain and gives a great shave experience.

Original Sport is great. Unfortunately my bottle is almost gone. I've found it's very similiar to Irisch Moos.

It sucks that an American product is not available in the U.S

Maybe they thought that Americans are more familar with the classic Ice Blue, as opposed to Canadians

Just a guess :)

When I have a morning migraine I love using Proraso preshave cream, Proraso shave cream followed by AV! It helps ease the pain and gives a great shave experience.

Migraine sufferer here,too.
The only thing that will relieve my migraines is Imitrex (Generic) The worst migraines are gone in usually 45 min to an hr....Sometimes the side effects are pretty unpleasant ( tingling chest and arms) but better than the migraine...

Top Bottom