What's new

Crazy razor prices

I just got back from looking at a few antique stores for some razors. The first store I thought I had hit the goldmine! There was a large mug with probably 20 razors in it. I asked to look at them and almost hit the floor when I saw the price tags of 50 dollars on all of them. This was techs, super speeds and one crusty slim. The owner then got upset when I asked if he would negotiate.
The second store I went into had two EverReady brushes, a puck of Williams from the 90's and a fancy mug. Well the brushes were 40 dollars apiece, the Williams was 20 and the mug was 90. I was looking at the Williams and the owner said because it had the box it was worth a lot of money. When I told him if I bought it I would use the soap he looked at me like I was from another planet!
And then the last stop I picked up a scroll ABC razor in a Sheraton case for $10 dollars. Crazy day. Anybody else have some good antique store stories?

i see it all the time... i have seen techs for 40 in below user grade condition and I have purchased a rocket flair tip for $6 in near mint condition it all depends. i had one antique store tell me that de razors arent very collectable and that is why they have none but to check out their crappy straights..
anyways
keep looking and you will find some great stuff

Yes the deals are out, I got the $5 dollar near mint cased fatboy to prove it. Ussually when I have found razors they are $10 dollars and under, this was the first time seeing such high prices at 2 back to back shops.

My wife and I love to go into antique shops when we travel and I think I have seen it all when it comes to strange pricing. One of the oddest I have seen was a booth in an antique mall that had two slims next to each other. One was in it's plastic case for $6 and the one next to it was without case and was $15. The owner of the booth happened to be around that day and told me that the one without case cost more due to it having a blade with it. I just smiled at him, purchased that slim for $6 and moved on to another booth.

Some people think because it is old , it is worth a high price, I recently saw a single ring in a box for $400, it's a local flea store with seriously over inflated price tags on everything.

When I am fortunate enough to find razors, I experience the same crazy pricing as you did. I think my best story was when I found a Hofritz slant for 15. and it was marked, "as is" "no returns" they thought the head was broken and twisted
ken

I saw a common Schick injector at an antique store in Seattle somewhere in the $40 - $80 price range (don't remember exact price but it was ridiculous). I commented about it here on B&B last year and another member in Seattle (highball I believe) said he has seen that razor in the same store for years now.

On the other hand I found a Toggle for $12.00 and a Fat Boy for $8.00 both in very good condition here in SoCal.

I really should do the rounds here sometime. I hit one a while back and got a krona in user grade condition for 3 bucks ( not an earth shattering deal on a rare or super desirable razor, but good enough that I really ought to give it another, longer look sometime.)

Around here, most everything is very reasonably priced to extremely low priced. Met a guy because I ended up buying half his antique shop booth, so we talked and he sold me a mass of razors and barber paraphernalia that he'd collected over the years that he didn't have on display at the booth. There is so much that he still has for sale, I wish I had more money.

Top Bottom