What's new

The Worst Blade?

I know there is a lot of dislike for Merkur blades, but they seem to do ok for me. Derby blades on the other hand...

....worst ones ever are the NEX brand that they sell at the NEX....

... for those of you who don't know, NEX is short for Navy Exchange, which is like a mini-Walmart on a Navy Base.....

I own about 15 different blades including Merkurs, Lords, and Feathers. The worst blade I own is a Treet Classic. This blade was highly recommended to me by someone, so I think I was being purposefully mislead. BLOOD... that is why the label is red. Relieve high blood pressure with these.

There was a review a while back on Bluebird blades. Without question, it was the funniest review Ive ever read. I still recall some of the exact sentences the reviewer used -

"I can say without fear of contridiction these are the worse blades Ive ever used by a country mile."

"I cannot find words strong enough to dissuade you from placing one in your razor."

Something must have happened because it does not appear under Bluebird reviews anymore, (maybe merged out of existence or something), but it definitely made me LOL......and made me stay away from Bluebirds.....

For potential Newbs... As I read through the "Worst Blade" posts, I realized I can't weigh in on my worst blade opinion. I did some homework as a lurker on B&B and other sites and based on reviews and opinions of many I steered clear of many of the aforementioned "worst blades". I went with a blade sampler of some popular/quality brands and found all to perform well. I found about 3-4 brands that were all very good and 2 that are solid any day, any time, go-to blades. Maybe I'm not very discriminating but I even do well with generic/rebranded blades.

Advice for Newbs... Do some upfront homework on consistent quality blades versus some obvious "losers" + Get a good balde sampler + Focus on prep and technique= Shave Sucess.

OK, I have to weigh in again after skimming the entire thread. Gee, I'm glad I have never even tried Dorco, Merkur, or 7 AMs. I'm doing very well with my chosen Astra SPs and Personna Labs. I was picking up some things at Wally World recently and grabbed a 10-pk of Wilks to try. I haven't even tried one yet. So, should I skip them altogether? Maybe give them a run and see for myself? If there is a Wilk-lover out there I would PIF or trade.

OK, I have to weigh in again after skimming the entire thread. Gee, I'm glad I have never even tried Dorco, Merkur, or 7 AMs. I'm doing very well with my chosen Astra SPs and Personna Labs. I was picking up some things at Wally World recently and grabbed a 10-pk of Wilks to try. I haven't even tried one yet. So, should I skip them altogether? Maybe give them a run and see for myself? If there is a Wilk-lover out there I would PIF or trade.
I used to hate the Wilks but they are tolerable (as are 7'Oclocks but I think the Wilks are sharper). Just use 'em up- they are so easy to come by (dollar stores) that they are not worth trading.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Buy a pack and try them. There's nothing to lose with just one pack. Realize however, that some blades you don't like could be technique. So it's always good to hang on to a pack of blades you don't like for 6 months to even a year. Then go back and try them and see if your face finds it does agree with them. If you still don't like them then, pitch them.

What I don't get is why don't Merkur simply dump their horrible blade and have e.g. Personna stamp their logo on Crystals as they do woth Tesco (?), and sell them under the Merkur brand as well. The guys at Merkur would not need to be ashamed of their blade -- they might even want to pack one with their razors again, like they used to do -- and new DE shavers would not be scared away by the Merkur blade.

Top Bottom