What's new

The Worst Blade?

@Santosubito, alol mangle your face? That was funny the way you said but I feel you on that alol :)

Last edited:
I actually don't mind the Walmart Wilkinsons. I hate the generic blades (always Personna). The worst would have to be the Vidyut (Indian) SuperMax Stainless in the red box. The SuperMax Platinums, however, are some of the best i've ever used. Russian-made Gillette Super Stainless are also quite horrible the first round, but the second shave with them is fantastic, and they last around 5 shaves without pulling (after the first shave, of course.)

I actually don't mind the Walmart Wilkinsons. I hate the generic blades (always Personna). The worst would have to be the Vidyut (Indian) SuperMax Stainless in the red box. The SuperMax Platinums, however, are some of the best i've ever used. Russian-made Gillette Super Stainless are also quite horrible the first round, but the second shave with them is fantastic, and they last around 5 shaves without pulling (after the first shave, of course.)

Unfortunately my Walmart had the Wilkinsons in stock a week before my first DE was delivered, but I checked in the day after it was delivered and they had reorganized their shaving aisle and had ceased stocking the Wilkinson blades.

Treet dura sharp carbon steel (made in Pakistan)and Gillette super thin (made in Viet nam)

These are just about tied for me, both feel terrible on my face and i didnt bother completing a shave with either.

Nacet Platinum and Sputnik Platinum. Both gave me BBS, because they ripped my beard out by the roots rather than cutting it.

I may have just used the worst blade ever! I wont repost the full review, that can be found over in the SOTD thread here.... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/371073-SOTD-quot-Drama-quot-Theme-Week-4-10-Nov-2013

Ok I will quote directly from a post by the very generous Packtray so you all have a good idea what blade I am talking about:

"I have quite a few vintage NOS Department of Defense military-issue DE blades, National Stock Number 8530-559-8359."

"The military used to issue blades and razors up until the 70s or so. These blades were made by ASMR, makers of Personna blades."

So I got a few mostly for my collection, but did promise to use one and report back. Here is the blade out of the package. I don't believe it is "stainless" blade, I just think the wrappers were in abundance at the Mfg, as they were wrapped with the print inside and thus a non-descript white wrapper on the exterior.

View attachment 383514

Please keep in mind this is IMHO and YMMV.

So out of the shower and I prep the blade a little, 15-20 jean strops and a quick dunk in Alcohol. Next I whip up the Al's going a little lighter on the water to get a thicker (safer in my mind) lather. Next loaded the blade into my 32, I chose the 32 for this because I know it well and wanted something that I could really give good feedback on the blade with.

So I put it up to my cheek fully expecting some pull as I had about 40hrs of growth, and began to feel the tug. First swipe, hmmmmm, quite a bit of tug. So finish off that cheek with an uncomfortable amount of resistance. So I spin her around thinking maybe that side of the blade is bad. Next cheek, well this side is a little sharper but still uncomfortable. So I put it down and grab my R89 with a Sputnik blade that already has 4 shaves on it. As I bring the 89 to my neck I thought "you can do this", so I put it back down and grabbed the 32 to finish the first pass. Man was it rough, only one small weeper though. I am telling you this blade makes a Derby feel like a Feather! This thing was scary dull to me although YMMV. So needless to say pass two and three went to the old Sputnik which at this point felt like a new BIC or 7 O'clock Black. Ended up with a good irritation free shave and finished up with some alum and Floid.

I feel sorry for anyone who had to use these in the past, quite possibly the reason so many of our Military switched to carts ASAP!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Chinese blades in general. Any DE razor you buy in the Middle East seems to come with a Chinese blade of a brand you have never heard before. Smart consumers toss it and get a pack of SuperMax or 7 O'clock Greens.

Top Bottom