What's new

The Worst Blade?

I'm a little surprised to see so many Dorco mentions. I really wonder if you guys got counterfeits, because genuine Dorco ST-300s are extremely smooth shaving and forgiving blades. I think they may be the best value in blades, to be honest.

At any rate, the WORST blade I have ever had the displeasure of bringing anywhere near my face is the Derby. An absolute gouge-fest which ripped my neck to shreds even with the lightest of touches. The edge on those things must look like a shark's mouth under a microscope. Terrible, painful, pitiful!

I'd say that the Greek Bics are my least favorite.... the only DE blade so far that leaves me with so much irritation that it's visible after my post-shave routine.

Based on price and the number of quality shaves that can be gotten from the blade the Feather is the most overrated and overhyped blade out there. 2 shaves and then you might as well be using a butter knife.

YMMV is proven over and over here.... my last Feather went for five great shaves and probably had a sixth in it (but I trashed it at five rather than risk a face shredding), most other blades only last me for three or four shaves.

Last edited:
As a Brit, I am sorry to say the worst of all the blades I have at present (about 15 different makes) are Wilkinson Stainless. I tried them in my Gillette Super and Merkur Futur and no thanks. They felt blunt from day one. I recall in the 1950's my father finding these a revelation, as they stayed sharp for days. He used to use a green uranium glass hone with the non-stainless blades he used before (Gillette red or blue) but once the Wilkinsons arrived, this went into the cabinet, never to reappear. Maybe Wilkinsons are still making their blades to a 1950's recipe and the rest of the world has moved on. They seemed quite thick to me.

Wilson

The only blade that hasnt worked for me so far has been Derby blades. I have yet to get a quality shave from one.

So I just signed up to the forum today. My reason... Good old Merkur blades!

I've been going back and forth with Wilkinsons and Merkers the past few months. I first used the Merkur when I got the HD 34c. It had been a while since using DE. Thought it was my technique/new razor. Oh well...

Day two of Merkur blade, girlfriend sees the scars around my neck and tells me life isn't as bad as I think. And that I should lay off on shaving for a while or at least wait till after we get some couple's counseling.

Few days later while admiring supermodels at Walmart, I see Wilkinson's on sale for a buck something. I use my hand held computer/phone and the Amazon reviews deem it a good purchase. I buy a pack. Out of curiosity I use one the next morning. I survive smooth, uncut, feeling like I have just been reborn and ready to take over the world (The intro to 'Welcome to the Jungle' is blaring in the background).

Couple sessions of using the Wilkinsons later... I start to feel a difference. Time to switch out. Thank you Wilkinsons, it's been grand!

I popped in a Merkur... God, Buddah, Allah!! I threw the rest of the 10 pack away and joined this forum to tell the world how sucky Merkurs are. They'll butcher you. They'll make life miserable for you. And when you go to slit your wrists with them, they cut you deep enough to bleed, but not deep enough to make the pain of shaving with a Merkur blade go away.

Last edited:
Wilkinson, for sure. Tired of giving my 4th pass against the grain and the whiskers were there, undisturbed. A pass WTH with my credit card would give me a closer shave.

The only blade I ever used that I thought sucked was Walgreens' house brand. I've used blades that are sharp, not as sharp, and in between but these were awful and the only blade I can remember getting razor burn and nicks from. And, to add insult to injury, I paid about $8/10.

Wilkinson, for sure. Tired of giving my 4th pass against the grain and the whiskers were there, undisturbed. A pass WTH with my credit card would give me a closer shave.

There seems to be such a difference in opinion on Wilkinson blades, that I wonder if there are ether two factories making wholly different blades or fake/relabelled blades out there. I cannot imagine a company as reputable as Wilkinsons, turning out blades as bad as the one I tried at the beginning of last week. It wasn't just bad, it was dreadful.

Wilson

There seems to be such a difference in opinion on Wilkinson blades, that I wonder if there are ether two factories making wholly different blades or fake/relabelled blades out there. I cannot imagine a company as reputable as Wilkinsons, turning out blades as bad as the one I tried at the beginning of last week. It wasn't just bad, it was dreadful.

Wilson

My experience with them, the first shave is a rough one. But it gets better. The peak being about 4th session.

I have a feeling that the edges are easily rolled over or something. I wouldn't be surprised if the edges get slightly off during the paper wrapping. My observation I strop on my arm very carefully and am able to hear one side more than the other.

My razor blade Hall of Shame includes the following:

Merkur
Astra Superior
7AM
Sputnik (oh the pain!)
Zorrik
all the carbon Treets
Sharp

So far, merkurs are my least favorite. It doesn't matter how hard I try, no shave with a merkur blade has ended without some blood seeping out of a random nick somewhere on my face, although in their defense they will give the same consistent shave up to 7 times. No actual cuts so far. Big Bens are def better than merkur although if you don't use proper technique they're even better at inducing carnage.

Top Bottom