What's new

Swedish Gillettes

Today I used my 3rd Swedish Gillette for its 2nd shave (Shave #1 was OK in my Progress). I haven't shaved in 2 days so it wasn't a typical shave, but I immediately thought something was wrong - major tugging going on. I tried switching the blade to my slant, but it wasn't much better. I took out a new Derby and put in my Slant and finished the job off with a close shave and minimal irritation (a few weepers from the initial Gillette pass).

I know YMMV and all that, but I've gotten very good results from Feathers and Derbys so it seems strange to me that a 'well-respected' blade like the Swedish Gillette which is often said to be somewhat similar to a Feather would give me so much trouble. I haven't had very good results with my previous trials with my first two Gillettes, either; they seemed a little rough. Any thoughts? Anyone with similar experiences?

PS: I was using MWF Soap for the first time today. It lathered very well and I don't think the MWF had anything to do with my probs, but who knows? My initial impression of it is: very neutral scent (too mild for me, as expected though not in the least bit unpleasant), lathers very nicely and feels very good afterwood (seems to lubricate very well, as expected).

Sweedish Gillettes are a strange blade... I get probably the worst shaving shave with them but the least amount of irritation. It is strange... throughout the shave it feels like my face is getting beat up but nothing... just a irritation free shave. I am not sure how to take them yet.

You might have gotten a bum pack or something. I think Swedish Gillettes are the best blade out there and even though they are more expensive they are worth it(to me anyway). I wouldn't give up on them but if Derby's or Feather's work for you they are a little cheaper.

The 'Best' blade is a matter of personal preference. While Gillette Platinum maybe a favourite of some members it doesn't mean that it will work for you.
If you have tried three blades & still don't like them then move on to another blade.

It's always best to try as many blades as possible & remember anyone's recommendations are from their own experience.

Paul

Maybe you should try some Gillette Silver Blues, some people have said they are similar to the way Swedish Gillettes should be, so maybe they work better for you.

From what I can see from others talking about their experience with blades is that everyone has one that works for them better then others do. I think that this might be the case here because the Gillette balde is the only blade I use that works for me at least. On the other hand you could have just got a bad blade batch. Who knows.:eek:

Top Bottom