What's new

replating a everready 1912

I know Im not inventing the wheel here . So Im torn on what to replate a everready 1912 with nickel or chrome( leaning towards chrome ) so lets see those replates on a se

I have a few in the "ugly box" that would be great shavers if they were buffer out and replated. What does having a razor replated typically cost?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Here is a Gem jr replate head on a handle from Bob's razor works.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pjotr

.............. What does having a razor replated typically cost?

Although I don't have a clue how much repating cost I think that's probably the issue here. I've seen pictures of replated century old lather catchers but have never heard of anybody getting a 1912 replated. In pristine condition you can pick them up for next to nothing. People PIF them away. Depending on how you look at it, it's a sad or fortunate fact about the value of SE razors.

Edit: Thanks to HDstreetglide I have to say that there's always one.......

Although I don't have a clue how much repating cost I think that's probably the issue here. I've seen pictures of replated century old lather catchers but have never heard of anybody getting a 1912 replated. In pristine condition you can pick them up for next to nothing. People PIF them away. Depending on how you look at it, it's a sad or fortunate fact about the value of SE razors.

Edit: Thanks to HDstreetglide I have to say that there's always one.......

I have to agree. I just recently won a near mint Gem Junior 1912 on ebay. Winning bid was $1.24 plus $3.00 shipping. If it is a razor that has sentimental value to you, then I would get it replated. Other then that, I would just do some looking for another one.

For what it's worth to anyone, I believe the best looking Gem 1912 is the brass one. I love the way they look shined up, and they may well look even better with a dull patina on them. While I really like a chrome plated razor, the 1912 looks so good in brass I wouldn't want to change it.

Polished nickel looks great: it is brighter than chrome, is very durable, and is usually cheaper too.

It sound noble re-plating an old 1912. But I doubt if it's fiscally responsible. Mint 1912's are easy to come by at a fraction of the re-plating cost. BUt to each their own. If you want to re-plate it go for it. I hope it's beautiful once it's done.

I would vote Nickel for the older razors.

You know, I've been DE shaving for a few months now and my father owns a small antique and jewelry store (I even scored a couple of old razors from him) I should ask him about re-plating old razors and what the costs are. If you guys are into that kinda stuff maybe I can look into it

Earlier Ever-Ready and Gems were Nickel Plated the very last ones were Chrome Plated

Although it is of course possible to leave the brass 'naked' it will very quickly tarnish and go green with oxidisation if not polished really often - this is why razors are always plated in Silver, Gold, Nickel, Chrome, Rhodium, Palladium, zinc (yuk!) unless they are made from Stainless Steel.

Cost to strip old plating, polish and replate a Gem or Ever-Ready in Nickel is £15 or $20 plus postage.

Best wishes

Top Bottom