What's new

Smoked my first pipe

Well,

Smoked my first pipe last night but first some background:

Only started smoking this year when I found out I could get some Cubans quite easily from a local mail order company. So had worked my way through a few of those but they are fairly pricey and not really in my budget for anything except special occasions. I am definitely an occasional smoker and it is part of a ritual when getting together with certain of my friends.
Only smoke really mild cigars and even then some of them knock me a bit silly with the nicotine and strength near the end.

Also tobacco tax at this end of the world is mildy ridiculous - approaching US$430 a kg and increasing every year.

So thought I should try a pipe as a pouch of tobacco is only about US$40. And my dad had smoked a pipe for most of his life. So...

Bought a corncob (Great Dane Egg) - keeping it cheap in case the experiment failed and went with some Amphora Full Aroma as recommended by a friend who has been pipe smoking for a year.

Was a very pleasant experience.
Filling was not an issue after watching too many youtube videos.
Mouth burn was also not an issue as I had learnt from the cigars that I prefer taking things quite slowly and will rather relight than have the harshness.
I found it milder than a cigar and more of a full/deep/simple taste as compared to the cigars. I was really fearful of a bigger nicotine hit than the cigars and was very relieved that this didn't eventuate.

We landed up have a pre BBQ bowl and late evening bowl :001_smile

So will be buying my own pack of tobacco today and save up for a briar (I love the wood grain). Great economical, relatively, way to have a smoke while solving the world's problems.

P.S. Unfortunately I only have one of my father's pipes that I kept and framed for sentimental reasons as I wasn't interested in attempting smoking when he died.

Glad to hear it was a success, welcome to the all encompassing world of pipe tobacco! The worst part is, you'll never have enough time to try all the wonderfull blends out there. However, you'll never have to look far to find something new. Good luck on your quest for briar, choose wisely!

Top Bottom