What's new

Why isn't cella on the New guys guide to inexpensive soaps?

Why not? It's a reasonably priced soap and it is VERY forgiving in terms of water adding and just lathers up so easily. IMO it's a great newbie soap(but I don't think I will stop loving it when I get better at shaving :w00t:)

I agree, it's newbie-friendly.

(1) Cella swallows huge amounts of water while maintaining stable lather; the margin of error is large. It is a "forgiving" soap that way.

(2) Being a soft soap, it loads very easily. Since many newbie lathering issues are a result of not loading enough product, this is a very desirable quality.

While some is at it... the La Toja stick is also listed as a "glycerin based" soap... Which is going to make a noob think it's in the same league as C.Conk, VDH and other "melt & pour(able)" soaps/detergents, which La Toja definitely is NOT.

Vegetable based in no way mean or implies "glycerin based". Tallow containing soaps also contain glycerin, unless it's been stripped from the final soap by the soap maker to sell on the market as glycerin at a higher profit than the soap itself.

Glycerin is a natural by-product of saponification.

Many including our resident Italy resident (where Cella is made) Marco love Cella. I just can't see spending $40 for the Cella block itself plus $40 for having have the block shipped to me in the US. If I ever get to Italy, Cella is the first thing I am buying.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Many including our resident Italy resident (where Cella is made) Marco love Cella. I just can't see spending $40 for the Cella block itself plus $40 for having have the block shipped to me in the US. If I ever get to Italy, Cella is the first thing I am buying.

You can get a small tub for around ten bucks.

There are several North American shaving suppliers who carry Cella.

I chose Cella as my travel soap because it is so forgiving and creates a slick and protective lather. Fabulous stuff.

If you can only find a Kg block of cella for $40, you're just not looking hard enough. For example on shaving.ie the block is only $32.54(and that's just the first site I looked...). It's really not an expensive soap and you get a lot of bang for your buck. Personally, I really like the strong almond smell of it, it's like the concentrate my girlfriend puts in her cake batter.(omnomnomnom) And as a certain title on the forum says:" You could run a dead rat's head along a tub of Cella and still get good lather!"

For those who are interested: Palmolive SC is also on the newbie soaplist, but I tried it and I don't like it. It has no distinctive smell, nor does it lather easily. In my experience it has a narrow margin around its soft spot on the water to product ratio... YMMV

And as a certain title on the forum says:" You could run a dead rat's head along a tub of Cella and still get good lather!"
Now I have a use for all my dead rats!

Agree, Cella is great stuff, and it's usually pretty easy to find the 1 kg brick at a good price.

Love Cella, find the scent subtle and use it at least once a week out of 50+ soaps/creams I have.
I use it as the Litmus Test when trying out new blades.
I just go with the red tub as a kilo brick would be overkill for me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

If you will ever come in Rome, just let me know. I'll tell you where to get a full 1 kilo brick for only € 8! :wink2:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I do not disagree with you, it's good soap. One thing to keep in mind, there are *many* products that could be suited for a new starter. At one stage, the choices have to be limited otherwise you would end up with 20-30 product being recommended...

If you will ever come in Rome, just let me know. I'll tell you where to get a full 1 kilo brick for only € 8! :wink2:

How about in Bologna? Just made reservations to go there for about 10 days or so. Now that I think about it, isn't that where Omega brushes are made?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
How about in Bologna? Just made reservations to go there for about 10 days or so. Now that I think about it, isn't that where Omega brushes are made?

My hint is to look for barbershop suppliers. Several of them stock the kilo brick and sell it at about € 10. :wink2:

I do not disagree with you, it's good soap. One thing to keep in mind, there are *many* products that could be suited for a new starter. At one stage, the choices have to be limited otherwise you would end up with 20-30 product being recommended...

I get where you are going, but cella really stands out in the crowd. I'm only a starter kit surfer and I have already been sucked into the cella vortex! It's even bigger than the arko-mania(btw: tried it, does a nice job for the price, but not really my idea of a sunday morning soap if you catch my drift ;)) And IMHO the key aspect in advising a noob on gear is to give him an easy product to begin with. Ok, if you start with the williams-cakes and you end up being able to get them right, you will probably be able to lather anything. But chances are a lot bigger you will go in M3 remission if you start out with unforgiving products. I mean: has anyone ever advised a converted Braun-shaver to start with feathers? :w00t:

Top Bottom