What's new

What's your take on ridiculously large watches?

I guess I'm in the minority of liking larger watches, with one caveat - I like them on me. They fit. I'm looking at a Hamilton Khaki Pilot Automatic (46mm) and it fits me perfectly and looks very classy. If a larger watch works for you and you like it, why wouldn't you buy/wear one? If you don't like larger watches then you don't need to buy one. Good thing you control you own spending, especially here in the Hab ;)

Cheers,

M.

I guess I have pretty big wrists. I see lots of watches that I think look cool in the case that just look too dainty on my wrist. I find anything shy of 40mm just looks too small. I once tried on a watch that I thought was ridiculously large, and it looked right at home on my wrist. That said I doubt that watch was more than 52mm at most, and it may have been more like 48. I doubt there are very many people this side of Andre the Giant for whom a 60mm watch looks in proportion.

There are actually a lot of these on the market that began life as small sized pocket watches in the old Soviet Union. With loads of them out there some enterprising Russians placed them in to oversized wrist watch cases. The movements are actually a very interesting Soviet copy of early to mid-20th Century Rolex movements.

I wouldn't wear one as a dress watch, but as a quirky casual accessory I think they can be fun. I don't have one but I gave one to my brother last year fro Christmas. He loves it.

I go by these: Rolex 1600 or 1603 (small), Rolex 1680 (standard), Breitling 806 (medium), Heuer 1550SG (large). The rest they can keep.

I'm a fairly good-sized ol' boy but 37 mm's about as large as I want to wear. I wear a military Glycine quite often that manages all of 30 mm. The outsized wrist watches fail to impress. One either appears compensating for some inadequacy or blind when wearing one of the gargantuan ones.

Considering I have ridiculously small wrists, I am not a fan. It would look cartoonish on me!

Ditto.
I can handle a larger face IF it is thin enough. My Eco-Drive Solar Atomic is pushing 45+mm across, which is positively HUGE compared to the 35-40mm that I have worn in the past, but it is extremely thin at only 8mm, so it looks smaller than my smaller watches.

It's a sad day ... my daughter came home today, and she was wearing a big watch :ohmy:

I did not comment ... it's her life and her wrist :wink2: ... but I think large watches fit even less with a womans wrist.

I'm not big/tall enough to wear an oversized watch... but they can look amazing. If only I could pull this one off!

$spirit-and-history_hall-of-fame_watches_railmaster_showroom.jpg

A beautiful thing.

You need massive wrists to pull off anything over ~42 mm diameter. Other than a specialized utility watch such as an ultra deep diver, anything over 45 mm is just absurd bling IMO.

Yep. Completely agree. My biggest watch is an Omega SMPc which is just over 41mm. I had a 46mm Traser as a work beater for a while, but it was way too much watch.

Top Bottom