What's new

What's your take on ridiculously large watches?

It is a fashion thing. I like a bigger watch but not a giant one and this is because I have bigger wrists.

For size I draw the line at something like a rolex sea dweller. Can't remember the diameter but is bigger than my sub.

The new Sea Dweller has gone over so poorly that not too long after its introduction, you could find them at a 25% discount from MSRP without too much trouble. The thing is so THICK, it's just yucky looking to me. I liked the older version much better, and judging from the public response I'm not alone. I guess the aversion a lot of people have to giant watches goes to thickness as well as diameter.

Ford

Originally wrist watches were compact sleek convenient replacements for pocketwatches. Now the wrist watches are bigger than pocketwatches. People have been commenting on increasing watch sizes since the first wristwatches came out and they were like 28mm. They keep getting bigger and folks keep buying them.

They are ridiculous, and large! A good friend of mine is 6'2" and about 350lbs. Wrists over 9 inches. His 44mm Haminton Jazzmaster seems a little small on his wrist. He makes a 52mm Vestal work. Anyone else I know with a Vestal, Diesel or other 50mm+ watch just looks silly. I don't think that there is anyone out there who can wear anything larger than 55mm, and have it look appropriate. Thankfully we still have companies who are making small stylish watches. I think big is here to stay, but most dressier watches will stay under 40mm.

I walked into a Fossil store not long ago and was amazed at the number of huge, oversize cases they were showing, and it must be what's appealing to young men who don't know better. Anyone who wears a watch that is not proportionate to his wrist (look at your wrist, look at your watch.. you'll see what I mean) is just making a fashion statement and trying to draw attention to himself. There are lots of excellent, high quality wrist watches that are of an appropriate size available in any price range (Seiko 5s have to be the deal of the century). And remember: the bigger the watch, the more likely you will screw it up banging it on something and damaging it.

Even Orient has succumbed to an 'oversize' diver, although even it pales in comparison to some I've seen.

You need massive wrists to pull off anything over ~42 mm diameter. Other than a specialized utility watch such as an ultra deep diver, anything over 45 mm is just absurd bling IMO.

My Casio MTP-1291 is 48mm incl crown and but it somehow looks ok- probably because my 7.5" wrist isn't linked to small hands. I must admit, I'd like it to have been 42 but somehow it doesn't look silly- possibly because it's only 12mm thick and doesn't look like I'm trying to show how cool my watch is. You can't make a pretentious statement with a Casio!

A lot of people talk about diameter however many of these watches are insanely thick at 16mm 18mm or more. I think sometimes the thickness is worse than diameter. Ever try wearing a thick watch like that with a long sleeve dress shirt?

I guess I could see the need for a watch that big if your eyesight was fading...

I was going to say that I am indifferent as to others wearing them, and that I am predicting out of style within a few years, but your have a point that I may need one any day now!

I kinds of like vintage men's watches that have quite small faces. Seems kind of elegant with with a suit.

Reminds me of a description of a Navy Fighter Pilot an old A-6 pilot once told me: "Big watch, little d**K trying to cash a two-party out of state check in a foreign port"

Feh, just get a pocket watch and a monocle. Oh, and a white cat. Don't forget the cat.

Last edited:
This thread needs a Laco 55mm Pilot

$laco55mm.jpg

Top Bottom