What's new

Anybody else notice this?

I made a return to DE shaving exactly three days ago after a terrible experience with it many years ago. I'm very lucky to have had three wonderful shaves in a row with no nicks or razor burn.

However...

I AM getting the silky smooth shave that I've heard so much about but it doesn't last as long as a silky smooth shave with a Mach 3. I assume that's because the Mach 3 lifts and cuts, sending the whisker below the surface of the skin?

I shave every 24 hours like clockwork, 7 days a week, 365. My beard is clearly longer and more coarse when I shave at my regular time now. However, it's much more pleasurable of a shave and I will not ever be returning to a cartridge shave.

Just curious if anyone else noticed this when making the switch to DE.

Thanks!

Current setup in case anyone feels it's relevant to answering the question:

Merkur HD, Merkur blades, Taylor sandalwood, badger, Nivea balm

See...now you mention it. I have over recent months noticed that my beard line has gotten bigger. It used to finnish about an inch above my jaw line, round the mouth and top lip with little on the cheeks. These days I've noticed that it is now about two inches under my eyes. So it's moved up a good inch or so and is now covering my cheeks. Also my beard has become more like iron filings and wire wool more than hair. But I've been DE wet shaving for years on and off. Curious? then again I'm way past 14yrs old by 20 or more years. (several more).

benito, first, welcome to B&B! You make an interesting observation.

I have noticed just the opposite, though: although I have always (>35 years now) used a brush and cream or soap, since starting DE (and now SE and injector) shaving about 2 years ago, I find my post-shave face to be much LESS stubbly, and my shaves last for a much longer time. However, I do notice that, when it does grow back, my beard seems more "prickly" than when I used to use a cart. It could be that the sharper edge of traditional blades cut the hairs more cleanly than a cart blade does, resulting in a more pronounced stubbly feel. That's just my guess, though...

Perhaps, due to your limited experience with DE shaving, you have not yet fully optimized your shave. This is not unusual, as most here would say that there's a "learning curve" of a few weeks or months with using a DE compared to cart shaving. Perhaps you might try a more aggressive razor than the one you're currently using or a different blade, and that might solve your problem. I've noticed that many folks here do not find Merkur blades much to their liking after they try a range of different blades. The good news: you've got even better shaves ahead of you!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard B&B.

As Wingnut rightly said the DE blade will give a cleaner straight slice through the hair. I have also read that the cartridge with it's multiple blades will leave the hair "mashed" by the time several not so sharp blades have had a whack at the hair?

Wingnut,

Thanks for the detailed response.

Perhaps, due to your limited experience with DE shaving, you have not yet fully optimized your shave.

I figured this might have something to do with it. I'll just give it some more time and work on technique.

I've noticed that many folks here do not find Merkur blades much to their liking after they try a range of different blades.

Agreed. The Merkur blades pull and tug at my beard quite a bit, but it's not anything too severe. I have a nice sampler pack on the way and will most likely throw in a feather blade, since I hear wonderful things about their sharpness.

I am guessing when you get your technique down you will be so pleased you won't ever compare your shaves with a Mach 3 again.

OK, here we go again......

hair above the skin is dead matter (keratin)

it grows from hair follicles, as the hair follicle produces more "hair" it pushes the previous "hair" out; we call this growing, and we shave it off

the dead hair has no nerves connecting it to the follicle that would allow it to say " I have been cut, please make me thicker, wirery, stronger, longer, or anything else

the act of shaving doesn't make the hair follicles increase, decrease, spread or move around

Any differences you think you observe are caused by the sharp and clean angle that a razor blade cuts the hair, or is a product of you imagination

ken

My guess is technique. I had a similar observation when I started bit have since been getting smoother shaves than ever.

My guess is technique. I had a similar observation when I started bit have since been getting smoother shaves than ever.

+1 As I got to better master blade angle and buffing, the DE started to produce a longer lasting shave than the cart. At first I was deflated. "What all this gear and technique and the shave doesn't last?"

No. I noticed the opposite. Much smoother, closer shave with DE vs Mach 3. Mach 3 left plenty of stubble after a shave, especially on neck.

Still need to try the Mach 3 again, using good prep, soap, and brush - to see if the difference was in fact the Mach 3 or everything else about my previous shave set up.

I find with DE razors, it's very important to stretch the skin while shaving if you want to achieve the closest possible shave. Paying attention to the blade angle is also essential, which is something that will improve with experience.

OK, here we go again......

hair above the skin is dead matter (keratin)

it grows from hair follicles, as the hair follicle produces more "hair" it pushes the previous "hair" out; we call this growing, and we shave it off

the dead hair has no nerves connecting it to the follicle that would allow it to say " I have been cut, please make me thicker, wirery, stronger, longer, or anything else

the act of shaving doesn't make the hair follicles increase, decrease, spread or move around

Any differences you think you observe are caused by the sharp and clean angle that a razor blade cuts the hair, or is a product of you imagination

ken

is it possible, though, that when one gets a BBS shave that they cut the hair below the skin where it is alive and there then is something that would say "i have been cut, please make me thicker, wirery stronger, longer ect.).?

Top Bottom