What's new

Pelikan M400 Nibs

Are M400 and M200 nibs interchangeable? I thought I read this somewhere. I'm looking for an OB and they are sold out for the M400 in many places, but are in stock for M200.

Yes, they should be interchangeable. The M200 nib is usually steel (or gold plated steel), while the M400 is 14C or 18C two-tone gold.

M600 (and 710) nibs are also interghangable with the M400. In OB the gold nib is much better IMHO. I have the OB in a M600 and it is my favoite everyday user. If you have never tried the OB it is worth noting that you must hold it at the correct angle (not as forgiving on angle and a standard nib).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Just remember not to put a stock M600 nib in the smaller M400 or M200 pens as the tip will often hit the cap and become damaged. Be very careful, those nibs are running well over $100.

The nib and feed can be professionally reset more deeply into the collar if you must go that route.

Go to Richardspens.com and click on the Pelikan button. Go to the bottom or wherever and read about what nibs are interchangeable. He's got a whole chart. Really interesting. I think the 2 through 6 series can be swapped out - but the bigger ones won't fit under the caps of the smaller ones. If you have a vintage 400 nib, stick it in there as they feel SOOO much better than the modern nails. Unless you really like stiff nibs. ;) Sometimes a bit of spring is really nice, too. Depends on what you're going for I guess.

My m400 does have one of the older 14kt 585 nibs on it, and does have a good bit of spring. I am just going to leave it alone. I do really like that nib.

I had an M600 nib in my M200 pen and never had any problems with the nib hitting the cap. I guess I was lucky or YMMV with pens also.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I had an M600 nib in my M200 pen and never had any problems with the nib hitting the cap. I guess I was lucky or YMMV with pens also.

Well, do what you like. It may have to do with where the inner cap sits or how deep the nib is in the collar. I don't gamble with $100 nibs.
From Binder's site: This nib does not fit M2xx, M4xx, etc., or the old-style (pre-1995) M600. It will screw into these pens, but it is longer and is likely to collide with the end of the inner cap when you cap the pen.
From Mottishaw's: Pelikan M600 two-tone 14C nib unit. When set deeply enough it will fit the M400 and M200 series pens as well.

I just threw the warning out to save someone unnecessary grief.

PS I have a special Pelikan knock out block and can reset nib/feed for anyone if necessary

Last edited:
I've done that a few times too. I was given an old Pel 140 and actually brought the nib and feed OUT more since somebody had pushed it in way too far who knows when. Now it looks cool AND writes beautifully.

Well, do what you like. It may have to do with where the inner cap sits or how deep the nib is in the collar. I don't gamble with $100 nibs.
From Binder's site: This nib does not fit M2xx, M4xx, etc., or the old-style (pre-1995) M600. It will screw into these pens, but it is longer and is likely to collide with the end of the inner cap when you cap the pen.
From Mottishaw's: Pelikan M600 two-tone 14C nib unit. When set deeply enough it will fit the M400 and M200 series pens as well.

I just threw the warning out to save someone unnecessary grief.

PS I have a special Pelikan knock out block and can reset nib/feed for anyone if necessary

I had the two tone M600 14c nib, so John's info seems correct.

Top Bottom