What's new

Scotch Whiskey vs. Irish Whiskey

Is there any real difference between these two distinctions?

I realize I've left this question wide open but I'm just looking for a layman type answer.

I normally drink bourbons (Knob Creek, Maker's Mark) but I'm looking to branch out a bit.

Can not speak for the Irish variety, but you can spend a good part of your life tasting and enjoying all of the Scottish single malts and not miss much of the others...

Now that is an open invitation for a :a11:

I like either single-malt scotch or Irish whiskey for blended. I drank Irish (Jameson, then Tullamore Dew) for a long time and couldn't handle single malts..... Now I love single malts (Bowmore being a favorite-very smoky, peaty).
:001_wub:

Irish whiskies are typically blended and smooth. Scotch single malts are very distinctive and you can (eventually) taste layers and there can be huge differences in different types; even distilleries very close to each other (Laphroig and Bowmore, for instance) can be extremely different tasting.

:a17:

The most noticeable difference that the average person will notice is the smokey/peaty nature of most Scotch vs. Irish Whiskey. This is a result of the roasting of barley malt over open peat fires as part of the Scotch process. Note that this is not a hard a fast distinction and I believe that the varieties are oficially defined by region rather than by process, but most of the time the peat is going to be the most forward flavor distinguising Scotch from pretty much everything else.

Outside of that many more variable come in to play. Though Scotland is known for its single malts there are good single malts and blends from both regions. As a drinker of American sour mash type stuff, I would recommend you try the Bushmills 10 year alongside a readily available single-malt scotch such as Glenlivet. There are better options on both fronts, but you can probably get the pair at almost any liquor store for under $50.

Typically Scotches have some level of peat, while Irish does not. Though there are exceptions Glengoyne is an unpeated Scotch and there are a couple of peated Irishes. Though while there are some very good Irish Whiskeys out there, IMO don't waste your money go with Scotch every time more bang for your buck and at it's best and mediocre ranges a much much better product.

I picked up some Black Bush to make Irish Coffee. It was too good for the coffee. A nice Waterford tumbler, without ice, is the correct way to drink this.

Hot Whiskey in the winter is great, too! Any time I think of mixing at all, I go with Irish

I learned this during my extended visit to Ireland:

2 parts hot water
1 part Irish whiskey
bit of sugar
a few cloves

:thumbup1:

It's the same way they drank Potcheen (when I was there in '93 it was a VERY illegal moonshine-like stuff that gave me incredibly realistic and weird dreams-I think it's legal, now)

Typically Scotches have some level of peat, while Irish does not. Though there are exceptions Glengoyne is an unpeated Scotch and there are a couple of peated Irishes. Though while there are some very good Irish Whiskeys out there, IMO don't waste your money go with Scotch every time more bang for your buck and at it's best and mediocre ranges a much much better product.

I really enjoyed the Bushmill last night. I guess I'll have to pick up a decent Scotch just to compare the flavor difference.

My preference is Jameson's, it is extremely smooth and mellow especially when drunk after a nice cold glass of Guinness. As always, YMMV.

I used to like Bushmills back in the 90s. I tried Jameson and some others before settling on Tullamore Dew. I still remember the original print ads line of "Give every man his Dew."

Wayne

I really enjoyed the Bushmill last night. I guess I'll have to pick up a decent Scotch just to compare the flavor difference.

There are some top notch Irishes out there, every few years Jameson puts out a limited release and most of these have been simply phenomenal. But there is a much, much wider selection of Scotch. Also many of the Irish Whiskey's I've had that I've really enjoyed have been over $100, but I absolutely love many Scotches under $50. But in many ways they are very similar, with the predominant exception of peat. Good luck on your quest Aaron, it's a very fun journey. :thumbup1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Glenlivet is a good place to start. You don't need more encouragement to have a few drinks, right??

Bushmills and Jameson aren't bad at all, but they're a bit too light for my palate. 16 yr Bushmills is excellent!

I've always preferred unblended whisky/whiskey but think most of it is greatly overpriced; so I don't drink much of anything nowadays. It seems because of popularity Armagnac and Mescal are better drinks nowadays than Tequila, Cognac, Irish, and Scots.

Richard

Irish all the way. Have tried Jameson but Bushmill is my favourite. The Bushmill Black is good but the 16 year single malt is awesome - too good to put in coffee. Haven't tried the "Dew" but should.

I have tried to develop a taste for Scotch but just can't seem to like it. I would have thought it would be easier being a drinker of the Irish but no success.

Regards

I cannot really comment on the particular differences between Scotch and Irish whiskey as I only really dabble in a couple brands of Scotch, i.e.: Glenmorangie, Highland Park, Laphroaig. I'm trying to expand my pallet but don't feel any hurry.

From what I've learn't from the many army "Scotch tasting's" or more truthfully "Scotch Drinking’s" is that distillers in Scotland lay sole claim to calling a whiskey a Scotch.

I think there is a Canadian whiskey maker that is dispute with Scottish distillers for calling one of their products scotch. I've always heard that you can't replicate Scotch outside of Scotland (Minerals in the water ect.) but I've never done the investigative drinking to look into that claim.

"I think there is a Canadian whiskey maker that is dispute with Scottish distillers for calling one of their products scotch."

That's Glen Breton distillery in Cape Breton. They make a single malt. My wife - who is the Scotch connoiseur - says it is on a par with the best single malts she's had from Scotland. As you said, there was a legal issue with Glen Breton using the term "Scotch". Instead, they call it a "single malt whisky".

Regards

Top Bottom