What's new

Emrergency Back Up Shaver - electric or cartridge?

What is your emergency, don't have time for a real shave, but NEED to razor? I'm trying to choose between a cheapie electric or a cartridge

luckily enough for me, i've never NEEDED to shave when I don't have time for my DE. But if i did find myself in such a position, it would be disposables. I can't stand electric.

De or SE in the shower, spreading cream on with my hands (no brush). Takes less time than it does to tie your shoelaces.

What is your emergency, don't have time for a real shave, but NEED to razor?

I would like to know what is the emergency that puts you in that situation. Any emergency that was so urgent that I did not have 10 minutes to shave is serious enough that I do not worry if I am clean shaven; such as medical emergency, someone in a car accident, etc.

I have a costco pack of m3 disposables that I was 1/5th of the way through before I discovered the addicting world of wet shaving. :)

I agree with M80, if it's an emergency an ambulance is coming, or the cops, or firefighters, and I don't shave. Trust me, they've seen it all, a little beard not removed that morning is the least of the worries. Anything else and I shave or am already shaved.

If I wanted to shave but simply had no time, I'd go for a DFS with a cream and not lather it, and I'd pass on a BBS. I wouldn't like it and I'd be cross all day. Then there might be a real emergency.

Most likely I wouldn't bother to shave. The alternative would be two quick passes with the DE and call it good enough.

Cartridge. I'm not very fast with an electric, so it wouldn't be my choice in a rush. Although I do keep a Braun Mobileshave in my desk at work if I can't shave before work for some reason. It actually does a pretty good job (beats not shaving).

Neither. I make the time to shave properly. If I couldn't I wouldn't shave.

Going with this one moving forward. I still have my Mach 3 that I thought I'd keep for back-up. Was in a big hurry last week and so did a one-pass with it; after doing so I realized I get a much better and more comfortable shave with just one pass on the DE. But if I'm that rushed again it will be a don't even bother to shave situation or too bad I'm going to be late because I need a proper shave.

I still have a myriad of cartridge handles, and have 3 hydro schick carts leftover from before I took up DE wet-shaving. If I had to not use my DE, might be because I broke it or similar I would just do a SAS or DFS with the cart, any more and I am asking for irritation. In the early stages of learning to DE wet shave it did take me longer than using a cart so it would be an obvious backup if I accidentally slept in too long, but now they both take the same amount of time.

If I completely forgot to shave for some reason, I would pick up a mini can of goo and a bic disposable at the shop next to work and have a quick shave in the bathroom using a hot handtowel as prep.

They way I understand it, at least, is that this isn't a life or death emergency. It would be like an emergency of going on a week-long trip somewhere with a certain someone you are trying to impress with a smooth face, and you've forgotten to pack a DE or SE. Since one really can't go to a chain store and pick up a DE anymore, one has to rely on an emergency back-up razor. For me, it would honestly be anything that was NOT an electric. In an "emergency" situation, I wouldn't spend any more money than I had to on something I was only going to use for a week or two. Especially if I had to throw it away later. I would use a pack of disposable razors, probably Bic sensitive skin razors or Gillette Good News. I also feel like these alternatives are much closer to the idea of wet-shaving than an electric is...

If I can shave with a disposable, I can shave with my Lord. I'm not going to use an aerosol cream, and there are no other shortcuts (pun?).

Top Bottom